Round headlight conversion

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

Re: Round headlight conversion

Postby droopsnoot » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:39 pm

1972nail wrote:Snoots were different in that the power still went through the dip switch but only one pair of lamps were lit at any one time, inner or outer, not both. However, many have since been modified to have both on with main beam.

That's not quite the case, although I thought it was. On Sportshatch, you are correct - switch on dip beams and the outer lights are on, switch to mains and the outers go out and the inners are on. Flashing main beams would only bring on the inner lights, unless the outers were already on. I think the issue is that the Magnum headlamp switch isn't up to the job of taking current for four lamps.

On HPF, though, the manual does say that "movement of the headlamp lever downwards, on the axis of the steering column, brings on all four headlights. Upwards movement of the lever to the central position switches off the inner pair of lights and leaves on only the outer pair, which have permanently dipped beams." It also goes on to say that the headlamp flash action, pulling the lever towards the driver, only flashes the inner lights.

My relay board doesn't work that way, though. Pulling the lever towards me will flash all four lights, otherwise it's either just the outers, or all four. I think we talked about the circuit David, I just found it on the net somewhere. I've mounted the board on the same bolts that hold one of the horns in place, because I wanted to make it easy to switch back to the original wiring if needed.

The above is only on snoots, though.

vampiretigger wrote:I’ll probably do something similar on mine once I get the correct mount plates to stop the headlights falling out!

Do the Singhs have no extra ones, or do you have to buy the set with lights and adjusters? Probably possible to make some from flat steel if not. I dropped on two brand new ones at Tatton Park autojumble years ago, 50p each, but they're on my Firenza, and I had a few on the hatch that had rusted so badly I had to use the "bad" ones from the HPF.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby 1972nail » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:57 pm

Thanks for clarifying that Mike. I had forgotten about our discussion about the differences between Snoot and Hatch lighting.

Certainly the Magnum switch and the standard Viva switch both have had a reputation for overheating and failure. The cause is generally dirty contacts within the switch.

I took mine apart and cleaned it when rebuilding the car, even though I was using relays to avoid high currents in the switch.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby Mike Attew » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:21 pm

I couldn't decide until my wife told me to change :D , couldn't disagree there and now stuck at home, can't leave the house for 3 months so no driving or anything so I changed it to twin head lights. It's going to be a long 3 months unless I can find things to do.
Attachments
Mike
Mike Attew
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby 1972nail » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:44 pm

Looks good. I'm glad there's another man who does what his wife tells him... :wink:

Out of interest, what backing plates did you use and how much metal did you have to remove from the original mounts?

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby Mike Attew » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:35 pm

1972nail wrote:Looks good. I'm glad there's another man who does what his wife tells him... :wink:

Out of interest, what backing plates did you use and how much metal did you have to remove from the original mounts?

I need to be fed so no question of me not doing what I am told. :lol:

I used a pair of VX2300 back plates and the bare amount of metal removed so I can go back to the original headlights if I want to.
Attachments
Mike
Mike Attew
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Mike Attew » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:37 pm

Also the wiring harness and relays went in well.
Attachments
Mike
Mike Attew
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby 1972nail » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:08 pm

That's neat.

1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby BobbyMel » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:37 pm

I've put twin squares in mine...
Attachments
HB 368

1970 - Vauxhall HB Viva Estate....114 BOB
1969 - Vauxhall HB Viva Estate....BDH819G
1968 - Vauxhall HB Viva Estate....BOB 33E
1968 - Vauxhall HB Viva Estate....NHA 764F
1987 - Austin Montego 1.6L....E375 JRV
1995 - Rover 216 Coupe....N622 VOA
BobbyMel
Top Viva Spotter

Postby droopsnoot » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:42 am

BobbyMel wrote:I've put twin squares in mine...

I had those on my 1800 Firenza. Almost no light from them, but then I think the reflectors were no good.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Previous

Return to General Discussion