Information

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

Information

Postby Alfie-G » Sat May 09, 2020 12:55 pm

Hello,. I don’t own a Viva at the moment, but am hoping to change that after lockdown. I had a Viva HC way back in 1984 so know a bit about owning one. Before I make the move to Viva ownership, I’m hoping Members of this forum will be gracious enough to answer some questions for me, so here goes. What is insurance like, is it expensive, cheap or reasonable? What is the availability and general cost of consumables such as tyres? I know that membership of the owner’s club will bring wealth of sources for spares, but what is spares availability like in general? And lastly. As vehicles of this age must be adapted to run on modern fuels, what are the long term affects on the engine and which is the best fuel to run them on?
Alfie-G
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Re: Information

Postby Bob perry » Sat May 09, 2020 5:32 pm

Hi Alfie, and hope you find what you need, and get to join our happy band of Viva ownership.
Whatever model you finally settle on, there will be someone on here to help with most needs.
Parts are not too bad to get hold of, although body panels and trim, inner and outer, can be difficult, but most get by, and there are many skilled people on here who re-manufacture and fabricate, a skill which I greatly admire.
Insurance is very reasonable and, once joined, the Membership will guide you to recognised companies that give discounts to Owners Clubs.
I can here Jane, our Membership Sec, typing out an application form as I write!!
I pay £85 a year insurance for my HA for instance, but there are restrictions as to annual mileage as I only use it for shows etc.
Tyres are no problem. Most Viva's are on 13 inch trims so no problem.
Earlier models, HA for instance are on 12 inch which can be hard to find, but they are around with searching!
One thing to remember is that most Viva models qualify for free tax and mot if notified as Historic vehicle to DVLA. Vehicles before 1979!!
Something worth checking on the log book before purchase, although it can be done afterwards, but it will be taxed as normal if not noted.
Although MOT is not required, I still get one done just for peace of mind, and it's worth the £50.

Hope that helps, and look forward to seeing your new venture when we get out of this long detention!!

Bob HA130
Mona Viva
Bob perry
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Bob perry » Sat May 09, 2020 5:39 pm

Alfie, forgot to mention about unleaded fuel. There are some who modify their vehicles by having hardened valve seats fitted ( quite expensive)!
O.K to do if you are going in to an engine rebuild, but you have to make up you own mind really.
I've been under the impression that it would need a vehicle like a viva to be running every day, and doing a lot of miles to do any real damage with unleaded fuel!!, and mine runs quite happily on it.
There are also additives you can put in to the fuel, a bit like the old redex, god that ages me doesn't it?, if you wish, but it's purely a matter of choice.
Mona Viva
Bob perry
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Alfie-G » Sun May 10, 2020 10:15 am

Thanks For that information Bob. Just had a thought. I know there will be people who don’t think you should. Keep it as it came out of the factory is feeling that runs in the vintage car and motorbike world, and I see their point, but do many people get rear seat belts fitted?
Alfie-G
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby cooperman » Sun May 10, 2020 10:23 am

Rear lap belts in an HC are an easy fit as the fixing points are already there.
Marcus
cooperman
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Bob perry » Sun May 10, 2020 1:50 pm

It's a choice between originality and modern safety isn't it?, coupled with your own personal needs of course.
If you have a family, and they come with you to shows etc, or you use the car frequently at other times with four people up then, personally I would go on the side of caution and fit rear belts, especially, as Marcus says the points are already there on an HC for example.
I adapted to inertia reel belts in the front of the HA, instead of the aircraft style latch through and pull as original, but haven't needed to put rear ones in yet.
Mona Viva
Bob perry
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Alfie-G » Sun May 10, 2020 3:41 pm

Our kids are grown up, and as we run two cars the grandchildren could be transported in the modern one of the two when necessary, so lap straps should be fine if taking adults in the back. Lap straps are better than no straps, for adults at least.
Alfie-G
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby 1972nail » Sun May 10, 2020 10:36 pm

3 point static belts can also be fitted to HC saloons. There is a point behind the headlining on the rear pillar.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby viva les vegas » Sun May 10, 2020 10:40 pm

There is? I’ve not looked. When I fitted inertia reels to the rear of my ‘72, and my current ‘73, I mounted them in the boot and made a slot in the parcel shelf so they were kind of flush fitting. I had plastic guides so the belts wouldn’t go anywhere near the metal.
Remember, some days you're the statue, and others, you're the pigeon ;)
Life is a journey, not a destination.

used to be HB259
viva les vegas
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby 1972nail » Mon May 11, 2020 9:40 am

Yes, there is but they are for statics. Fitting inertia reel ones might be difficult using that mount.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Next

Return to General Discussion