This-is-sharing-101

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

This-is-sharing-101

Postby Tokyo-Grift » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:28 am

2nd Post ever here, so hey all my names Craig! :D Making this subject to see what the other owners of the community have done to their viva's. I'm a freshie and have only had mine about 3 weeks? So far I've swapped out the ancient BOSCH plugs for some NGK ones (much stronger spark), new leads, new dizzy cap, new coil rated 25% stronger which is a great bonus as in this summer heat my coil has overheated several times and cut the spark. I've re-adjusted the bootlid bolts to make it fit closer to flush, installed an aftermarket stereo as my model didn't come with one, and installed some closed unit 10cm speakers which I've hidden behind the dash, took me a good few hours to wire up. Lastly I've picked up a set of 5 Rostyle steels (for £50 and 3 have new tyres, what a steal!) which I intent to have banded to 6.5 or maybe 7 inches wide (as they are my 2nd set, first set being original wheels, I wanted to be a little outrageous) then fit some 205 60 r13 tyres (nice and grippy). Future plans are to experiment with springs that may or may not fit the viva, I've been eyeing up some VW Bora and BMW E46 springs which look VERY similarly designed to the vivas rear springs and I think when Eurocarparts have a big sale on springs I will pick up a pair for under £30 and see where it gets me. To install the 'Facet'(?) UPTO 4psi self regulating fuel pump OR a NON RETURN fuel filter to help deal with fuel evapouration and/or hot starts(?) and lastly the most universal electric radiator fan I've seen is that with just 4 mounting holes from a citroen c4, very basic and very easy to wire up to a switch, I will be installing this so that the viva may possibly be able to stand in traffic, maybe? We will see! I'm very interested in modifying without destroying the originality of the car i.e no mods which will see me cutting out oem metal etc, though that will be happening with a couple of new arch sections at some point! Let me know what you've all done, share with me your stories, mod failures and mod successes, even life stories featuring (you guessed it) your viva! I'd love to get to know a bunch of you and possibly see you at shows! Thanks for reading, also drop your pics! :coolpics: - Craig! :goodideasign:
Attachments
2.jpg
2.jpg (143.07 KiB) Viewed 1386 times
Tokyo-Grift
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Re: This-is-sharing-101

Postby 1972nail » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:53 pm

Hi Craig, welcome to the place where real and sensible advice is to be had!! :wink:

I"ll not comment on too much to give others the opportunity but my first concern is what coil did you fit? The original coil is a low resistance coil which is designed to run at approx 9v through the resistance wire buried deep in the loom behind the dash. Simply swapping for a standard 12v coil will cause the circuit to draw excessive current and overheat the coil and the resistance wire circuit. In fact that is what may have been causing the coil fitted to your car to overheat, someone may have replaced it with the wrong one.

Check out my thread on the resistance wire bypass mod here viewtopic.php?f=12&t=22328&hilit=Bypass

If you are not intending to fit electronic ignition then don't bypass the resistance wire but do fit the correct matched coil.

I'm sure Ethan will be along shortly with some sensible suspension mods.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby HC Fairley » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:24 pm

Hi Craig,
Suspension has come up a lot recently in the last few weeks. Here is a link to my thread on what I chose to do, fit coilovers. viewtopic.php?f=22&t=29768

All the detail is in the thread but to summarise. Totally reversible modification, no cutting etc required. This is a simple bolt off bolt on job that completely transforms the handling characteristics of the car. I'm not mad keen on lowering the car but it gives me the option to, My aim was to stiffen up the front and improve the handling. My front springs were saggy, the coilovers also corrected the terrible camber I had that ate the inside of tyres

Coilovers on the front only, the rear turrets aren't strong enough without modification, that's why I went for adjustable rear shocks instead.

Rear springs.....I left my standard rears in. The car has been at the body shop the last month so I haven't had many test runs. I was happy with what I have experienced so far though. If you do decide to snap up a few cheap springs and experiment then definitely keep us updated on your findings.

I know of a few members who have since placed an order for the same kit as I got. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask me here or in PM.

Ethan
HC Fairley
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Tokyo-Grift » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:18 am

Hey all, thanks for the great advice and fast replies!

Firstly I should have mentioned before I think its already had that wire bypassed from the sheer amount of custom wiring its had behind the dash(?) and its already had electronic ignition fitted before I purchased it, though after all these new bits I've put in, it runs great first and every-time, open the throttle turn the key and away we go, sometimes a little choke on a cold morning.

Secondly, thanks Ethan for the info very useful, I will still see about matching some springs from another car on the rear for research and maybe cheap replace-ablility? Could I ask, how much did it cost for your 2 front adjustable shocks from Gaz right? I can't imagine just the 2 being super expensive?

I will keep this thread open to update with my findings on the springs, one last question if I may, wheel sizes? I think I mentioned above or in another thread I plan to band some rostyles, what width can the Viva HC handle without scrubbing on arches, I've seen some running 8j which looked TIGHT, so I thought maybe 7j or 6.5j? Any pointers?

Sorry for all the questions I know mx5's like the back of my hand but old school cars are new to me and I'm ready to learn :D :respekt:
Tokyo-Grift
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby HC Fairley » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:36 am

Hi Craig,

That's correct they were from Gaz, I left the email contact for the in the suppliers links section of the forum If you need it.

I have been bombarded with the price question and have told people just to contact Gaz themselves and find out, however... another member on the forum did do that and asked me to compare my price with his and GAZ had added an extra £50 !!!
I assume this was because they received quite a few orders in the last 4 weeks for the HC since my posts here and on Facebook.

Front coil overs from GAZ including Springs price breakdown as follows - Part Number GP6-4696 £80.00 each + springs £24.00 each + carriage £20.00 + vat

The rear dampers are another £60 each plus Vat if you get them too, they are included in the £20 carriage.
Link to the breakdown of prices
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=29650

Don't worry about the questions, that's what this forum is here for and anyone willing to learn is well looked after :)

Ethan
HC Fairley
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby HC Fairley » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:38 am

P.s ask for helper springs to be included with the coilovers. They provide them at no extra charge
HC Fairley
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby 1972nail » Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:40 pm

I seem to remember that a previous owner of you car did ask about the bypass conversion, but there's no custom wiring needed so anything you see is for something else.

As far as wheel width is concerned, don't go too wild with the banding. The front suspension design will only take about 1 1/2" increase in offset before the steering becomes totally unmanageable at speed, steering weight, tramlining, bumpsteer, squirmy braking, and puddle pull will all be so exaggerated that you will wish you hadn't bothered. Even as little as 3/4" may make a noticeable negative difference.

Adding to the offset by banding increases the scrub radius. Ideally the center of the tyre tread is the centre of the circle the wheel turns on when the steering is turned. As the centre of the tread moves away from the centre of the steering circle any force that would deflect the tyre from straight ahead is exaggerated by the leverage of the distance from the tread centre. That's why wider alloy wheels add to the width in both directions.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby Tokyo-Grift » Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:11 pm

Thanks for the advice 1972nail, so would it be wise to ask for a 1/2" band inwards and a 1" band outwards meaning it will be a more central band opposed to just adding 1 1/2" on the outwards side? Or even just a 1/2" on both sides which if I'm correct the rostyles are already 5 1/2" wide so it would take it to 6 1/2" which is good enough and call it a day?
Tokyo-Grift
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby VampireTigger » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:47 am

Check up on the pressure your carb likes, I have one car with electric pump as the mechanical didn't work on hills and the Weber on that car doesn't like more than 2.5psi so a regulator is likely needed to peg the pressure back to what the carb likes :)
Adrian Miller
(the Bournemouth one!)
South East Region Rep
Bouncing between Surrey & Dorset :D
VampireTigger
GT Viva
GT Viva

Return to General Discussion