Brake master cyl help

Tips and help requests for your cars mechanics. points gaps, timming settings all those sorts of things

Brake master cyl help

Postby Vauxste » Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:09 pm

Hi Guys

Need your help. Putting a new brake master cyl on my HB. The hard plastic bush that sits between the brake pedal and the master cyl rod that the clevis pin slides through to connect cyl to pedal is totally ruined.(Hope that explains it). Has anyone come across this before and how did they overcome it. Found some hard plastic pipe that I might be able to adapt or was thinking about just using same diameter nut/bolt to connect and drilling it for a splitpin for safety.

Also anyone got a bootlid they want to get rid of.

Many thanks

Steve Douglas
Vauxste
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Re: Brake master cyl help

Postby Bob perry » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:39 pm

Similar problem on my HA some time back Steve.
Had to scour the hardware stores and DIY places to find what I needed but did eventually.
Hard plastic, or similar, piece of short pipe in a plumbers merchant of all places.
Made sure the clevis was a snug fit first, and then trial and error back home with a file on the OD to ensure it went through the pedal and master cylinder holes, but it worked, and is still there with no problem.
I just give it a WD40 squirt every now and then when I hear a squeak.
Around a fiver, and four of five of hours of fettling!!
Had a thought of getting one turned up in brass/bronze tubing if it didn't work, but might cost a fortune that way!!
Mona Viva
Bob perry
GT Viva
GT Viva

Re: Brake master cyl help

Postby Vauxste » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:45 pm

Thanks Bob, got a piece of hard plastic pipe that sort of fits. Will fettle file and no doubt struggle to make it fit. Let you know how I get on.

Thanks mate.
Vauxste
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Return to Mechanical