E10 fuel introduction

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

E10 fuel introduction

Postby Bob perry » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:00 pm

I've just had my insurance renewal from Footman James, and a follow up e mail link takes me to a very interesting discussion re the Governments proposed introduction of Ethanol E10 to fuel in order to assist with environmental reduction targets.

The questions, and discussion points, are as to how it will affect Classic cars, and their performance.
It suggests that there could be degradation in fuel lines and damage to internal parts of carburettors, and possible re jetting of certain types of carbs could be needed.

On a contrary observation, it suggests that performances and mpg may well be improved!!

It's quite a long article, but worth a read, so maybe someone more qualified than me can put up a link on here for further discussion.
Mona Viva
Bob perry
GT Viva
GT Viva

Re: E10 fuel introduction

Postby jpsmit » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:10 pm

There are so many discussions. I only run (here) Shell Gold, no ethanol. Likewise in my lawnmower. I have had to clean my mower carb more than once but never since I use pure gas.

Anecdotal maybe but the MG just runs better - and the gas seems to last longer. Certainly less varnish.

I don't worry about it degrading hoses (but they are all newish)

my 2 cents.
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby 1972nail » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:14 pm

For those who use Stromberg carbs I now supply a kit of ethanol safe O rings which will fit all Stromberg carbs fitted to Vivas of all engine sizes. So you don't have to buy a complete rebuild kit or worry about ordering the wrong kit. Just fit the O rings that you need for your carb.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby GTpete » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:10 pm

Through my motorcycling found out Shell Advance and BP Ultimate do not contain ethanol, however it depends where you live....I am in Berkshire so am ok with these fuels...also good for chainsaws/lawn mowers as does not go off...or cause your petrol tank to rust due to water separation.

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/emis ... ffect-you/

Can E10 be used in all cars?
In short, no. As many as 600,000 vehicles on our roads in 2020 aren't compatible with E10.

Drivers are advised to contact car manufacturers with any questions surrounding their specific vehicle. For example, Vauxhall says “E10 fuel can be used in all petrol-engine Vauxhall vehicles except models with the 2.2-litre direct-injection petrol engine (code Z22YH) used in Vectra, Signum and Zafira.”

As a rule, drivers of cars registered prior to 2002 are advised not to use E10 in their vehicle, as problems have been reported. And as of 2011, all new cars sold in the UK must be E10 compatible.

The RAC understands that if you put E10 fuel in an incompatible car it will still run, but seals, plastics and metals may be damaged over longer periods as a result of bioethanol's corrosive properties.

There have also been reports that E10 is a less stable fuel and that this can make it more difficult to start a vehicle that has not been driven for an extended period.
GTpete
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:23 am

GTpete wrote:[i]Drivers are advised to contact car manufacturers with any questions surrounding their specific vehicle. For example, Vauxhall says “E10 fuel can be used in all petrol-engine Vauxhall vehicles except models with the 2.2-litre direct-injection petrol engine (code Z22YH) used in Vectra, Signum and Zafira.”

Well, that's us covered then.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby edgoose1 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:06 pm

Interesting . Having a problem with my twin strombergs the garage think it i bad fuel and changing them to twin webbers. Someone else in the Droop Snoot Groug is having a similar problem. Hoping the change of carburettors will cure it
edgoose1
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby lord13 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:47 am

edgoose1 wrote:Interesting . Having a problem with my twin strombergs the garage think it i bad fuel and changing them to twin webbers. Someone else in the Droop Snoot Groug is having a similar problem. Hoping the change of carburettors will cure it

Eh? bad fuel means you have to change your carbs? I hope i've got this wrong and the garage aren't making you change carbs because of 'bad fuel', because I wouldn't be paying them a penny.

If you've just decided to change to twin webers yourself then ok, but why? is it a track car? Because twin 40's / 45's etc are a horrible set up in traffic, they are a performance mod and are fickle things to drive normally on a daily basis. Great fun I admit, but a real pain nipping to the shops.....unless of course you plan to drive like a loon to the local asda :D

Strombergs are fantastic carbs, easy to set up, easy to maintain, less moving parts to gum up and cause issues. A good garage should be able to overcome your 'bad fuel' issue and set up your strombergs to give you great performance and use-ability...
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:29 am

lord13 wrote:Because twin 40's / 45's etc are a horrible set up in traffic, they are a performance mod and are fickle things to drive normally on a daily basis.

I have to say one of the big differences between my HPF (with twin 48s) and my Sportshatch (with twin Strombergs) is how much smoother everything is on the hatch. I've considered swapping the HPF over, but it's had the 48s on virtually since it was new.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby edgoose1 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:36 pm

Ive never had much luck with strombergs. The little viva i had and twin strombergs the guy before me who had it had loads of problems with them and had them professionally refurbished and they ran fine. I find when twin DCOEs are set up properly they run fine for a long time . I think its down to preference with the carbs
edgoose1
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:30 am

I haven't been without issues, but the only significant one I had was when the needle valve stuck and it started spraying fuel out of a casting hole - a common fault, but not mentioned in any of the manuals I had to hand. All the diagrams are from the other side, so don't mention this little hole.

It doesn't start as well as my Firenza after sitting idle for a few weeks, but I'm getting the hang of the technique now. I just wish there wasn't a need for a technique.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Next

Return to General Discussion