New Project

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

New Project

Postby 47steve » Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:06 am

Hi All,

I am on the verge of picking up a project (Firenza) and was wondering what the sequence of events are when planning a full restoration?

I have restored a couple of motorcycles in the past and want to bring the vehicle up to a good standard. Is there a list of events that someone has carried out the will give me a direction or is it a case of chugging along bit by bit?

TA Steve
Last edited by 47steve on Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
47steve
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Re: New Project

Postby Johnboy HB » Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:42 am

Depends on your skills, workspace, timeframe, budget to name a few, if you're a skilled restorer, you could strip the car completely to bare shell, have it blasted or dipped, repair what's left then go from there, obviously, that's probably the most expensive route, & most time consuming, bare in mind that life will get in the way & will take far longer to do than you think, personally, I don't do it that way, I pick a place to start, repair that area then move round the car repairing as I go, I have two Restoration's on here, 1 finished, 1 ongoing, & you can see the time taken to do them, neither of them are show stoppers, but are done to a good standard, which is what I aimed for,
Johnboy HB
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby 47steve » Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:58 am

Thanks for the reply. Need to take a closer look and see how bad the vehicle is in. Possibly go down the full restoration route as i want it to be of a good standard.

Are there guy's on here that do refurbs of various items?

TA S
47steve
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby Johnboy HB » Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:24 pm

Your biggest obstacle is panel availability, the only panels readily available to my knowledge are rear wheel arches, wings & sills come up on eBay now & again, everything else will have to be fabricated, droopsnoot on here has made some parts & he may be able to help you, as you say, probably best to assess the whole car first
Johnboy HB
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Fred Dukes » Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:35 pm

Good advice from John - as he says life tends to get in the way and distractions are plentiful - try and avoid the temptation to buy more classics :roll: My plan was to restore Flo the Firenza and have another usable classic to do the shows at the weekends - that was 20years ago - since then there has been a steady stream of vehicles and Flo is just getting to the stage of putting the engine and subframe in :P
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby cooperman » Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:43 pm

Hi Steve, I am doing a project now and my process is to have a good look around the car to see what needs doing and break that into sections, body, engine, steering and suspension and interior. Then from that I can make a parts required list.
I started by stripping everything off the body and then started with body repairs as I can do the welding myself, then suspension and brakes. When the body is back on the axles it will go for painting. While the body is away I can get the engine rebuilt and door cards made.
After that it should be a case of reassembly and electrics.
As John says, it does all depend on budgets and timescales, and your end goal... a daily or a show car? And he's dead right, everything will take twice as long as you think.
Good luck and enjoy it!
Marcus
cooperman
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby BobbyMel » Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:25 am

I've been building my Project for 2 years now, still not finished, done most of the work myself, except the paint job, left that to my mate, the professional painter.
If you're local too me, you're welcome to visit.

Bob
HB 368

1970 - Vauxhall HB Viva Estate....114 BOB
1969 - Vauxhall HB Viva Estate....BDH819G
1968 - Vauxhall HB Viva Estate....BOB 33E
1968 - Vauxhall HB Viva Estate....NHA 764F
1987 - Austin Montego 1.6L....E375 JRV
1995 - Rover 216 Coupe....N622 VOA
BobbyMel
Top Viva Spotter

Postby rizzo » Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:04 pm

I think you have done amazing work in that time Bob, ive just looked at the date of my thread and cant believe its been near enough 7 years since i started mine, still there is light at the end of the tunnel.
HB 1159 1968 10K White
HB 4000 1968 Green
rizzo
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby BobbyMel » Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:10 pm

Bill, I want to use mine before I'm too old, if I took 7 years, I probably wouldn't get use it, ha

Got a little obstacle to get over at the moment, I'm pretty sure I'll sort it though!

Bob
HB 368

1970 - Vauxhall HB Viva Estate....114 BOB
1969 - Vauxhall HB Viva Estate....BDH819G
1968 - Vauxhall HB Viva Estate....BOB 33E
1968 - Vauxhall HB Viva Estate....NHA 764F
1987 - Austin Montego 1.6L....E375 JRV
1995 - Rover 216 Coupe....N622 VOA
BobbyMel
Top Viva Spotter

Return to Restoration