viva s

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

Re: viva s

Postby mazzo » Sat May 15, 2010 2:07 pm

Don't give up!

I've had work done on my car in the past which cost me a fortune and was absolutely hopeless (makes yours look like a show-piece!) I despaired because the car actually looked better before the work was done. In the end it was about how much I wanted the car. That was 22 years ago and I still have it and I'm pleased about that. Yes it took some sorting out, but it was a price worth paying (not money but just getting over my disappointment)

Don't rip off the panels, just get some plating done on the areas that were missed / still rust riddled. As long as the main panels were welded on straight, you're into cosmetic territory, not serious structural stuff. Make sure the seams are properly sealed too otherwise it won't last.

Get it sorted by someone who a) knows what they are doing and b) actually will care about the finished result as much as you will.

In the end, you'll have a solid car that you'll get lots of pleasure out of and other people will like looking at.

Keep your spirits up, it will be worth it in the end. :goodluck:
1971 1600 HC DeLuxe
1971 Green 2 door HC Base model
1978 Red 4 door Viva E from new
1969 HB 1159 4 door SL
mazzo
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby viva2300 » Sat May 15, 2010 2:54 pm

Yep here here Mazz
Dont get despondant! Keep the enthusiasm going.
my Snoot has not seen a road since 1988....i cant give up on the fact that it WILL be finished one day.

Paul
S. EAST AREA REP
1972 Viva 2300 SL 4DR
1973 Viva 2300 SL 4DR + one on paper.
1973 Viva 2300 SL EState
1973 Viva 1800 SL 4DR not for long
1971 Viva 1600 SL 4DR AUTO
1974 HP Firenza Droopsnoot

TOO MANY CARS NOT ENOUGH MONEY OR TIME
viva2300
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby viva power » Sat May 15, 2010 9:06 pm

i know it'll be worth it in the end but everytime anything is done on this car it always goes badly and the bloody head gasket is leaking to!!!. it needs someone to come over for a day or two and finish the welding for me and i can do the engine work with my grandad. then its done. i just want something to go right for my car for a change.
viva power
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby yoeddynz » Sun May 16, 2010 9:27 pm

With a bit of extra 'cup of tea, grinder, sunshine, music' action followed by some rust neutriliser and good primer you'll be laughing. Put some waxoyl on it afterwards in the exposed places that car will last a long time. I'm sure you'll get engine sorted and they are good little motors- very cheap to run!

Makes this following viva look solid and he got it back up and running....

http://retrorides.proboards.com/index.c ... read=49251
yoeddynz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby viva power » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:39 pm

after reluctantly selling my estate to try and get some money for this im actually going to make some progress! especially after looking at it on THE REGISTER! (not a lot left! :shock: )
i have someone to sort out the welding now so i'll be rebuilding the 1256 and refurbishing the running gear.
i'm aiming to have it on the road for my birthday at the end of april. then i can start on the sportshatch :D
viva power
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby pbottomley » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:41 pm

Blimey well it if get the car back on the road the work on the Register has all paid off !!! :thanx: Keep up da good work
pbottomley

Postby viva power » Sat May 28, 2011 2:37 am

Well im toying with the idea if selling the viva S :cry: . No idea as to what it's worth like this. It's had new wings,front panel, hinge repair panels, rear arches, one sill, unleaded head. All original parts including the radio. It has a mega rare original dealership issue press pack too. Needs the engine rebuilding, some minor welding, front wings need removing and properly rust proofing really. I'd only want to sell if it gets restored and not cut up for the parts as there rare old things. I don't want to do it but I really don't have much time or the storage anymore plus it's cost me a ridiculous amount to just have it sat There in this condition and its not getting any better. in reality what am i likely to get for it?.
viva power
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby midlands_nick » Sat May 28, 2011 5:06 pm

thats sad mate.. and to be honest ive seen far worse welding efforts than those on your car being passed off as good..

(thats why I not posted any pictures of my efforts yet lol)
midlands_nick
SL Viva
SL Viva

Previous

Return to Restoration