The Return of Arthur Dent

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

Re: The Return of Arthur Dent

Postby Paul Dawson » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:05 pm

A bit of inspiration for those of us with a long way to go.

What did you spray the interior with? Just for future reference.
Paul Dawson
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Mjones » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:32 am

Paul Dawson wrote:A bit of inspiration for those of us with a long way to go.

What did you spray the interior with? Just for future reference.

Halfords Flexible Vinyl Paint, rather expensive at £9.99 a can but it does the job. :D
1972 HC Estate The White Knight
1974 HC S74 Arthur Dent
Mjones
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby MikeOC » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:50 pm

very nice car indeed... :respekt: can i ask why its called arthur dent though?! [BTW i know the character,from hitchikers guide to the galaxy].

and can i ask about the headrests and how you come by them,and where they fit into,i have '78 and '79 GLS models,are there holes under the seat top fabric or something?
i used to hate not having headrests when i owned mk3 cortinas,and got round this by fitting later mk5 seats with them on,or granada scorpio leather ones,but i'd sooner keep the original look nowadays...
current cars...
1978 Viva HC 1300GLS 2 door,Red with BVR
1985 Ford Orion mk1 1.6 Ghia,quartz gold
2003 Peugeot 206 1.4 HDi 5 door,moonstone-the daily driver.
MikeOC
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby pbottomley » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:00 pm

MikeOC wrote:very nice car indeed... :respekt: can i ask why its called arthur dent though?! [BTW i know the character,from hitchikers guide to the galaxy].

Arthur is called so after the fact then when I owned him he was covered in Dents... I like HHGTTG and own another car that's GREY and miserable (called Marvin).

Peter took the reins and fixed the dents so one wonders if the name is appropriate, then again I could nudge him a bit next time I see Arthur so his name sake works :lol: :lol:

Story from many a moon back about how Arthur got one bump under the rear bumper....
http://www.vauxhallviva.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6724&p=22329&hilit=police#p22329
pbottomley

Postby Mjones » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:58 am

MikeOC wrote:and can i ask about the headrests and how you come by them,and where they fit into,i have '78 and '79 GLS models,are there holes under the seat top fabric or something?

All later HC seats have provision for headrests, appropriate holes are provided in the seat frames to accomodate headrest tubes. However, despite extensive searching, I could not find headrests with prongs that had the correct spacing, original Viva, Chevette and Mk1 Cavalier items are near impossible to locate. I therefore resorted to using a pair of Peugeot 205 headrests plus matching plastic guides. The seat frames had to be modified slightly to take into account the different prong spacing.

pbottomley wrote:Peter took the reins and fixed the dents so one wonders if the name is appropriate, then again I could nudge him a bit next time I see Arthur so his name sake works :lol: :lol:

'Arthur Dent' shall retain his name, I am a big fan of Hitch Hikers Guide To the Galaxy. :D
1974 HC S74 Arthur Dent
Mjones
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby MikeOC » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:51 pm

great stories..stuff like this gives a car a lot of character :D look forward to maybe seeing it one day in the metal.

and cheers for the info regards the seat headrests.i might just leave mine well alone though as they are like new[had seatcovers on from new] and i'd be bothered about wrecking them trying to fit headrests.. :shock:
current cars...
1978 Viva HC 1300GLS 2 door,Red with BVR
1985 Ford Orion mk1 1.6 Ghia,quartz gold
2003 Peugeot 206 1.4 HDi 5 door,moonstone-the daily driver.
MikeOC
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby Mjones » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:53 pm

Took Arthur for a trip to the New Forest today, a nice mixture of motorways, A roads, B roads and dirt tracks with the Sammy Miller Motorcycle Museum as a destination. Arthur performed superbly, this augurs well for his 300 mile round trip to Billing in a couple of weeks.

1974 HC S74 Arthur Dent
Mjones
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby pbottomley » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:49 pm

I must say the old fella is looking very good..... :coolpics:
pbottomley

Postby Mjones » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:13 pm

It has now been near on a year since Arthur returned to the road. I took him for MOT today and he passed with flying colours, always a good feeling when that happens. :D :D
1974 HC S74 Arthur Dent
Mjones
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby hbpeter » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:30 pm

Is it, my Astra failed its MOT today. :boxing: One item a new wheel bearing that was replaced less than a 1000 miles ago!!

Peter
Reading between the lines, dangerous if your waiting for a train.
hbpeter
Register Rep

Previous

Return to Restoration