barn found HC 1800 SL auto

Have you got yourself a barn find and want other to know?

barn found HC 1800 SL auto

Postby slade » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:56 am

hey all thanks in advance for the help i just got myself a little gem of a real barn find its a 1971 viva HC 1800 SL automatic with just over 50,000 genuine miles on her. She is in really good condition needing no welding at all with a good clean interior as she was dry stored in 1979 then forgotten about by a local garage owner until a friend of mine came across her luckily for me he was broke so i snapped her up :D all she needs to be back on the road is a good service fresh fuel and new brakes/battery etc she could do with a respray as the paint has crazed on the roof but the car is solid and has never been welded/filled so not to big of a job.

so my first question is this as rare as im led to believe as the dvla are telling me there is only one of this model licensed on the road or SORNed in the uk and also what is she worth as i have no idea not that im thinking of selling im just new to classic vauxhalls and realty don't have a clue :? im thinking of doing a full restoration as she would be mint and totally original i just need to know im not wasting loads of money as ive done so many times with classic austins lol this time id like to keep it in the relms of sensible so if i did ever want to sell i may see atleast half my money back :lol: anyway thanks for reading and i look forward to chatting about her with you all thanks in advance chris
slade
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Re: barn found HC 1800 SL auto

Postby slimjim » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:54 am

slade wrote:hey all thanks in advance for the help i just got myself a little gem of a real barn find its a 1971 viva HC 1800 SL automatic with just over 50,000 genuine miles on her. She is in really good condition needing no welding at all with a good clean interior as she was dry stored in 1979 then forgotten about by a local garage owner until a friend of mine came across her luckily for me he was broke so i snapped her up :D all she needs to be back on the road is a good service fresh fuel and new brakes/battery etc she could do with a respray as the paint has crazed on the roof but the car is solid and has never been welded/filled so not to big of a job.

so my first question is this as rare as im led to believe as the dvla are telling me there is only one of this model licensed on the road or SORNed in the uk and also what is she worth as i have no idea not that im thinking of selling im just new to classic vauxhalls and realty don't have a clue :? im thinking of doing a full restoration as she would be mint and totally original i just need to know im not wasting loads of money as ive done so many times with classic austins lol this time id like to keep it in the relms of sensible so if i did ever want to sell i may see atleast half my money back :lol: anyway thanks for reading and i look forward to chatting about her with you all thanks in advance chris

rare yes, rare enough for some of the automatic parts to be unobtanium, valuable no, and there is more than one left, as mine is sorned, lots got converted to manual, mine is probably going to be converted to :welcome:
slimjim
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby pbottomley » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:32 pm

I know this will sound a bit depressing but its just a fact of the situation, all those Viva's you see time and time again on ebay for £5 - £8k never sell, they get listed time and time again unsold, so dont be using eBay as a price guide. Its what sells that dictates the price not what is for sale.

Realistic Value 1800 auto HC in as found condition in need of full recommission and paint, in my eyes would be scrap value plus £200- £250 TOPS... (e.g. £350 - £400), fully restored to mint MOT, provable history relaible etc maybe £1850 or so...

As for rarity, yea autos are rare, but that give it less value not more... one thing we all know is that rarity of specific models of vivas is not linked to value at all.

:goodluck:

Keep asking questions about parts help etc, we will assist when we can.
pbottomley

Postby slade » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:59 pm

hey thanks for the reply's i wasn't thinking it would be worth loads maybe a couple of grand mostly just wondering how much time and effort to put into her im a restorer by trade so labor costs me nothing. ive always liked them but never had much contact with classic vauxhalls hence the questions about value as i know you never get back anywhere near what you spend :roll: ive done a few money pits over the years lol all she needs is a good respray to be in excellent condition as everything else is in very good condition just the basics need doing for an mot no rust at all anywhere and never been welded :D she will remain standard as the car is so good with a little bit of work she could be made A1 concourse condition chris
slade
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby hbpeter » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:20 pm

Whats the reg number of the car?

Peter
Reading between the lines, dangerous if your waiting for a train.
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby bluemoontezza » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:11 pm

You have been very lucky with your barn find,im going through barn find resto like you .price / value does not come in to it.
You could spend 9K on bottem of the range KIA/Fait and not enjoy,these will lose money year on year,yours if you keep the car will --1 turn heads and 2 go up in value
welcome to the club Terry :welcome: :goodluck:
1972 Viva 2300 SL 2 Door HC669
1972 Viva 2300 SL 4 Door
These cars can Torque!
bluemoontezza
GT Viva
GT Viva

Return to Found a Viva in real life?