HB Viva 1969 key numbers?

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

HB Viva 1969 key numbers?

Postby Scaramouche » Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:04 am

Hello,
I have managed to save a 1969 HB from the scrapyard minus keys!
Does anyone have any knowledge of numbers if available or a complete set?
Vehicle has had a slight electrical fire, loom not damaged, seems to be additional heavy wiring that caused
The problem... Shame!
Vehicle is THA230G if anyone recognises?
Blue 4 door SL.
Engine is out but has option of 3!
Any help appreciated! :thanx:
Scaramouche
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Re: HB Viva 1969 key numbers?

Postby pbottomley » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:50 am

Thats peters old car, we have been looking for it for a while! I am sure peter will be along soon to ask about the car. :x
pbottomley

Postby thomas » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:22 pm

Good luck with it. The door and boot locks are pretty simple, any old key/ice lolly stick should open them. My own locking petrol cap key also locks/unlocks the door and boot but doesn't fit the ignition switch. Doors, boot and ignition on some all operated from the same key, later ones, or those with (the luxury of) a steering lock might have a separate longer key for the ignition. Spares situation is not great, there was rough HB in a breakers yard in Bedlington, Northumberland, not a huge distance from you (or me), it was on ebay, I think they hoped to sell it intact though. I can't locate the ebay ad but noted the contact phone number (07542 486607). Someone should probably be able to unearth a set of locks/keys without the necessity of acquiring another car (which might itself be worth saving).

Pictures would be great but I personally think the 4-dr HB a bit of an ugly duckling. :mrgreen:

:respekt:
thomas
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby hbpeter » Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:02 pm

Great someone saved the old girl. I owned that car twice. Bought it off its 2nd owner in about 90/91, used it for work everyday. Then sold it on to someone in Newcastle who I knew from work, he for some reason resprayed it when it didnt need it. Didnt do a fantatstic job. He also fitted 2 Cibie Oscars(still had dynamo). His son used it for a short time, hence the crumpled wing(been like that since the mid 90's). His girlfriend then had it. He then phoned me up about 7 years after buying it and asked if I wanted it back for free. Couldnt say no. Unfortunatley I didnt use it for the next X amount of years it sat in my mams garage. Never got any worse body wise, always had a solid body and really good interior. Engine wasnt bad, needed a gearbox as the syncro had gone on 3rd gear. Although I used it with no problems. Eventually sold it to a lad in Kent, who for some reason painted the engine bay redlead and changed the engine. He then sold via ebay to someone else in Kent.

It then appeared on ebay in that scrapyard as you bought it. The first Kent lad also changed the wheels. When I had it, it still had the original wheels and drum brakes all round and dynamo. It was a good car, always started, never let me down. I dont think I will have any spare keys for it, all the spares I had went when the lad from Kent bought it. I think I do still have a note book from when I was using it, listing petrol bought etc, and I have photos of the car from when I bought it off its second owner(before respray). Think the car originally came from Wales(hence knackered 3rd gear, lot of hills!)

Really glad someone saved it. Whats your plans for it? I will post some pics up.
Peter
Reading between the lines, dangerous if your waiting for a train.
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby hbpeter » Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:05 pm

Peter
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby hbpeter » Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:50 pm

A couple of shots from Coombe Abbey near Coventry not long after I bought the car(from Preston). Its next to ORU which I also owned at the time.
Here it has its original paint and one spot, one fog lights on the front.

Off to its new home in Kent.

The other pictures I will have to find and scan in, if your interested.
Good luck with the car and keep us posted, ask any questions you like.

Peter
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby fistfullofV5's » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:04 pm

Peter, the Viva looked in far better nick than the Montego towing it! Glad it's been saved though and good luck to the new owner sorting the lock set.
Dave
fistfullofV5's
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Johnboy HB » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:08 pm

you should have the 'FT' series lock barrels on your car, made by willmot breeden. if you can get a lock barrel out, the key no should be on the side i,e 141, which makes the key FT 141, there are e-bay sellers who can sell you a spare key once you have the no
Johnboy HB
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Scaramouche » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:17 pm

Hello,
Thankyou for all the information supplied!
Peter, thanks for a brief history of the cars life whilst you had it! It seems to have been looked after in it's time but now has been left and may not be as clean inside as you remember it?
There are two engines I got with the car...
As I got it from the scrap, I have to submit it for a test to verify its aethenticity before I get the v5! I have got another viva engine and gearbox which I will fit meantime to get it moving..
The bonnet has separated from its frame and needs welding in the inner mounting bolt carriers! I imagine this is common!
Bodily is sound underneath, has been converted to alternator, but either this was the problem or those cibies you mentioned.. Got to love 80's retro custom??
If I could get keys would be fantastic but a complete set would suffice! Peter, do you remember if had one key or two?
Plan is to get it up and running and safe, then take it back to original..
As always time and money...
Will take some pictures of present state.. Seen worse tho! :coolpics:
:thanx:
Scaramouche
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby Scaramouche » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:24 pm

Hello johnboy,
Thanks for that valuable nugget of info!
I will take out the ignition barrel and look for the number...
Really appreciated!
Thankyou
:thanx:
Scaramouche
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Next

Return to Restoration