1971 firenza for sale in the netherlands

Have you got yourself a barn find and want other to know?

1971 firenza for sale in the netherlands

Postby robinski » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:54 pm

Hello fellow enthousiasts,

As I already told you in my introduction i can buy a firenza.
I am dutch and the car is offerd here, but there is no info to be found In holland on this car.

I was hoping you could help me out with any information you may have.

The car is sold by a cardealer and this guy says its a good car, on the pictures it also looks very good for a car this age.
It had a lpg gas installation and it smokes when starting on choke. So probably there is wear due to the gas.
It is a 1159 cc engine but it was planned to put in a ascona B moter in it. This motor is sold with the car as many other parts.
Does this motor fit? Or does it need adaptation?

What can you tell me in general about these type of cars ( i already read about the "droop snoot" or something but i feel this is a different car.

So any information is welcome!
Thanks in advance for your reactions.

Greets, Robin

I can post more pics on request, but this already a nice impression i think.
robinski
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Re: 1971 firenza for sale in the netherlands

Postby shamm » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:23 pm

Looks very solid :)
Don't think the Ascona engines will fit without some changes, several engines were available in the Ascona what size is the one included in the sale?
Droopsnoot is based on the same body shell but with a larger OHC engine and uprated running gear.
This is the same as the Viva over here, 1159/1256 OHV engine.

Have a good look at the ends of the sills and behind the rear shock absorbers for rust.
Also check the front floor pans and door bottoms.

Smoke on starting could just be value stem seals, not a massive problem to fix, or just ignore it.

Steve.
Steve Hammond

Two 2.3 Viva's, one 2.3 Viva Estate, one 2.3 Magnum estate, half share in a 1.6 Viva auto, and no time (HC183)
shamm
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Fred Dukes » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:27 pm

Firenza is the coupe version of the Viva HC saloon - 1970 - 1972? with the OHV 1159cc or 1256cc engine - later models around 1974 -75? were called Viva E coupe - not many left in original form. This one has rectangular headlights you will see others with twin round headlights.

As Shamm says looks solid - other places to check for rust
wheel arch lips
front of inner rear wing - seat belt mounting plate favourite water trap!
front inner wing area round bonnet hing mounts
A piller bottom of windscreen inside door frame and back of front wing
Check for rust lumps pushing up under vinyl roof.
As it has the small engine it will have running gear for small engine car - if you go for bigger engine there is a need to go for heavier spings and bigger brakes also axle may need to more robust version.
There are slant 4 OHC engines made for these vehicles which will give you the extra power!
Hope this helps
Join our Club and benefit from our spares scheme etc. there is a membership form and general inquiry letter attached for your consideration
InquiryLetter.doc
(25.5 KiB) Downloaded 178 times
Application Form.doc
(35.5 KiB) Downloaded 169 times
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby hbpeter » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:47 pm

Looks a very nice car. Especially the wheels. Are they steels that have been widened? Yes please to more photos. I would leave it as is, fix the smoke on start up, junk the gas converstion, dont really need that on an 1159cc engine. Depends on how much the dealer wants for it. Whats the interior like?

Peter
Reading between the lines, dangerous if your waiting for a train.
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby robinski » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:37 pm

Thanks you all for the reply.

I guess the ascona engine is out of the question.
I need it to be a trouble free car without the need to do big repairs.

So the only question that remains, is the smoke and the fact that it ran on lpg gas a problem?

I will check the specified location for rust, thanks for the tips.
I can buy the car for 1750€, is that a good price, ofcourse depending on what i will find at the inspection.
Mot is ok for 2 years to come.

What do you think?

Here are some more pics.

robinski
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby Fred Dukes » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:37 pm

Price looks reasonable for what I can see of the condition of the car. It would be worth getting the bit on the A piller - bottom of the windscreen sorted sooner rather than later. Offer 1500 euros see if you can get a bit off - if not if you want it buy it go for it - if it has been used on a regular basis then it should not give you "early ownership " surprises.
If it has been stood for a long time expect "shakedown" problems. If your intention is to use it for daily drive remember it is 41 years old so dont get too upset if you have some problems :roll:
Good luck
Fred
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby hbpeter » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:14 pm

Looks good. The rot around the windscreen could be difficult to repair, and where theres visable rot, there will be more hidden. Inner wings, inner arches in boot all look good. Interior looks very good. Never heard of the OHV engine been run on LPG, so thats a first. The engine might just need a freshen up, new rings, valve guides. Price works out at £1412, fair price. Try and get a bit off for the rust around the screen.

Peter
Reading between the lines, dangerous if your waiting for a train.
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby ADRIAN » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:49 pm

Obviously an "early" car, 1159cc 90 engine (from Viva HB) and "square " type air vents - all means its quite rare. So it wants to be kept in original condition .
Adrian HB1
HB 1
ADRIAN
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby robinski » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:17 pm

I made a decision not to buy the car because i feel that spare parts could be a problem over here.
And the guy who is selling it does not react anymore on my requests for information.

I would like to thank you all for your reactions on my requests and good luck with your cars.
robinski
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Return to Found a Viva in real life?