1976 1300 SL - Otis

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

Re: 1976 1300 SL - Otis

Postby oli8925 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:49 pm

Ooh do you know how much the postage was Paul? I emailed him last night so hopefully will hear back soon.
1989 Blue Mini 1000 Rebuild
1975 White De Luxe Viva HC
1994 Saab 9000 CSE
2002 F*rd Puma Thunder
oli8925
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby GeorgeG93 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:38 pm

Here's the front seat of the Alpha interior, I've made up some mounts to fit one for the time being just needs welding together. They're really comfy, but the only trouble is they're a good bit higher than the Viva seats and the mounts put my head pretty much in the headlining! Once I've got them mounts welded together I'll be able to test it some more.

Got the carpet up in preparation for the welding. Floor isn't bad at all really, just surface rust!

And also painted rear drums when I got bored

Congratulations on winning the manifold for a DCD Paul, I had to force myself not to sneak in and buy it heh! With the requirement of relocating the servo to fit a 40DCOE I'm going to have to forget about that for the time being I think, seeing as I found that a Weber TLDM as fitted to MK3 Fiestas, fits onto the Brown and Geeson manifold I bought. Still will have to stick with the 34ICH for the time being!
Im getting kinda frustrated with the project though, I always want to get things done on it, but when I have the time I don't have the enthusiasm but when I have the enthusiasm I don't have the time! April is looming, as the deadline for getting it on the road, and I'd like to have as much done as I can by then! I need to get paint on it, sort out the springs, get new dampers, track rod ends, weld them seats in, make up a fuel pipe and all the other little things. Hopefully getting all the arches done and the sills welded will take a good chunk out of what needs doing over Christmas but we'll see, I'm sure others have felt the same!
GeorgeG93
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby GeorgeG93 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:43 pm

Air filter arrived from Webcon yesterday, opened it up and was a bit dissapointed because I thought it would be a nice chromed one like in the picture, but it's just a black plastic type one... Good build quality and the engine sounds a bit better when it's running!

Also, pic of the Alhpa seat inside the car:
Good progress made yesterday, managed to remove the stupid looking heatshield from the exhaust manifold, took the seized stat out for the time being, made up fuel pipe to carb, wired in a Bosch alternator from a MK1 Ford Fiesta, real easy conversion, had to use the brackets for a Fiesta to fit it, but after that it only needed two wires cutting and plugging into the alternator, the others are now redundant as the control box is ON a Bosch alternator as opposed to being separate on a Delco.
Had some really irritating problems just as I was leaving though, it seems to either have no spark or a very poor spark on cylinders 2 and 3, taking the leads off makes no change to engine speed, but the leads are fine and I've swapped in plugs that I know work... Bit stuck for this, but I think a set of brand new correct plugs and leads wouldn't go amiss... Still, welding next week to look forward to!
GeorgeG93
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby GeorgeG93 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:50 pm

So the welding has commenced. This:

To this:

This:

To this:

Also knocked a bad dent out of the front valance, pretty straight now just needs some filling and it'll look alright:

Got most of the body work fittings off too, like the bumpers, grille, lights and the VAUXHALL letters on the back. Also had a fun time fighting the front indicator off, and broke it in doing so! Should glue back together!

Note to everyone! One side of the car, we made up the arches from just sheet steel and shaped them to make them fit as best as we could.. But then I remembered I had a MK1 Ford Fiesta rear arch sitting around, and that is a very close shape and just needs a bit of beating to make the difficult inwards curve that goes along the entire arch! One of the arches is flaking the whole way round so I need to get hold of another arch and then after that all the welding is done pretty much! Welding around the boot was a bit hairy as well... That fuel pipe had quite a few sparks dancing round it!

Done some grinding off of those welds, zinc coated them for the time being, will start filling them over when the weather gets a bit drier so the filler can actually set properly!

Still only running on 3 cyliners though... Great spark and working plugs, timing is spot on... Guess compression test is the next step, hopefully it will give me a clearer idea of what's going on! If it's anything too major the project will have to be pushed back I guess... If theres anything majorly wrong with the engine, I'll just dig deep and invest in a different more powerful lump I think as that's what will happen eventually anyway!
GeorgeG93
SL Viva
SL Viva

Previous

Return to Restoration