Firenza wing alignment palpatations

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

Firenza wing alignment palpatations

Postby fistfullofV5's » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:25 pm

Hi all, as you have probably gathered I've got to the point where I'm lining up some new wings and I could do with some advice and information. Firstly, I would be very grateful if some kind person could measure the distance on their car between the red dots in the picture.
As you can see,I need to make a section of front panel from sheet and need a reference measurement. This will also help me in aligning the wing.
Secondly,the step between the rear edge of the wing and the leading edge of the door. What is the ideal and should it even be there at all. On the drivers side the original wing also has a step but I don't know if that's correct or not. The mig shroud held up in the photo is 6mm,with the step between panels being about 2.5mm
I'm looking for some reassurance before I fire up the welder.
Many thanks, Dave.
fistfullofV5's
GT Viva
GT Viva

Re: Firenza wing alignment palpatations

Postby droopsnoot » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:02 am

I can't tell you about the front panel as the bottom section of the wing isn't there on mine, but I don't think there should be a step between the back of the front wing and the door, if I'm reading the photo correctly. That's not to say that most don't have a small step in that position (my Firenza certainly does) but I think the swage line should run straight along the length of the car with no steps.

I understand that in a lot of cases, the filler panel on a new wing isn't necessarily in the correct place and can lead to this part of the wing being in the wrong place. I have spoken to people who have taken around 5mm out of the width by cutting a slot and welding it together, though I suspect I'll drill out spotwelds and reposition it when I get around to that section.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Re: Firenza wing alignment palpatations

Postby fistfullofV5's » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:46 pm

Thanks for the reply. The swage lines line up perfectly viewed side on and I'm happy that's ok. The top of the wing lies level with the door and the bottom sits flush with the sill. Its the centre swage line where there is this 2.5 mm step when viewed vertically looking down. It looks to me like its there to give clearance to the leading edge of the door to swing in on opening. Its just a bit of nerves knowing that if I stuff it up,I'm unlikely to get another wing any time soon.
Cheers,Dave.
fistfullofV5's
GT Viva
GT Viva

Return to Restoration