1972 Nail Project

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

Re: 1972 Nail Project

Postby BigWallace » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:03 pm

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFFFFFFFFFFFFFF!!!! :D That is all!

Leigh.
BigWallace
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby hbpeter » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:16 pm

I'll second that! :respekt:

Peter
Reading between the lines, dangerous if your waiting for a train.
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby 1972nail » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:25 pm

Beware using rattly can primer on spots that you rub through!

I had a few small bare spots after rubbing back the primer and rather than mix up some paint and dirty a gun I bought an aerosol can of 2k primer from the same manufacturer as my other prime and used that. The primer had a couple of weeks to 'cure' before the top coat were applied, even so here is the result!!

A couple of places on front wings, the front corner of the bonnet, 4 spots on the roof and 3 areas on the rear wings - all where that primer was used. Thankfully the reaction is almost immediate and areas on the main shell were sorted last week before clear coats were applied. I thought a couple of coats of real primer might block it on the front wings but alsa, no. :cry:
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby Graeme » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:38 am

The thing with the aerosols is there is such a high solvent content in them they can pickle the layer under like so.

Only way is to get some 1k aerosol for bits you rub through. This doesnt need flatting after applied before Basecoat. And really dust it on. No heavy coats. Just light dusting.
Graeme
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby 1972nail » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:29 am

Probably too heavy a coat with the aerosol was the problem, then the high thinner content of the base coat pickled it.

I just flatted it back to smooth, a light coat of proper primer and then several light coats of base with plenty of flash off time between and all seems OK. :lol:

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby 1972nail » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:27 pm

Got the wings, boot lid and rear spoiler finished in the carport today.

Had to bring them out to admire! :lol: - well bake a little in the sun!

I think Arden Blue Pearl will really suit the Nail shape.

1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby 1972nail » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:08 pm

Was selecting suspension parts from my large selection of old bits a few weeks ago and came across this difference which I hadn't realised.

These are the top front subframe to chassis mounts. Early 1159 / 1256 HC on the left Magnum 2300 on the right. Did the early OHC cars have the smaller mount as well or was the larger one only introduced with the Magnum in 74?

I remember reading an old road test report on the 'new' Magnum which said it had a less harsh ride than the previous 2300 Viva SL. Could these mounts make a noticeable difference!

The rubber on the earlier bush seems much, much harder than the larger Magnum one.

1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby 1972nail » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:16 pm

Painted the inside of the doors tonight. Hope to get the outside done by Monday evening.

I know the Sport SL had vinyl interior door tops but I like painted ones. The window frames will be satin black ala the HPF instead of body colour - another break from original!! 8)

Can you spot the Slant 4?

1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby 1972nail » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:07 pm

Sad or what? ...... Back in '80ish I researched the exact paint Vauxhall used to paint the HPF door frames and engine bay with - ICI Low Gloss Black ---- and I bought a litre.

Well, I finally got the chance to use it today and painted my door frames black! :lol:
Last edited by 1972nail on Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby 1972nail » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:39 pm

First build up of the painted parts between the showers to see what it all looks like.

I now have my own car for my Avatar instead of a Photoshopped concept! :D :D

The front will be taken apart again while the suspension and engine are being fitted to reduce the risk of paintwork damage.

Next job - pull the Slant 4 from below the bench in the carport and get it fitted.

1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

PreviousNext

Return to Restoration