hb viva found just in time.

Have you got yourself a barn find and want other to know?

hb viva found just in time.

Postby Crystalvoyager » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:55 am

Hi folks.
having been a vauxhall nut for decades I'm looking now for an original viva to cherish. I've been advertising on our local classifieds website for ages now for a vauxhall viva in any condition and finally a chap got in touch with me to tell me he had one for sale. So a couple of evenings ago I met him on his farm and he showed me to an old container with a rotten door. We eventually got the door up enough to crawl in and to my suprised is a beautiful 1970 hb viva. 4 door in dark blue. And amazingly it's completely original. The old fella he bought it off really looked after it. Air still in the tyres, brakes are free as the owner has been running it up to 12 months ago. Clutch free and all fluids and levels are right although I can't get the master cylinder lid off by hand. But get this - the only rot on the entire vehicle is the front driver wing, drivers outer sill and both bonnet hinge to inner wing plates all of which he has panels for. The two front wings he has cost him £150 each apparently. Two sill panels and inner wing panels. That's not all - the dark blue interior is in perfect condition apart from the carpet. And also the most rediming feature is its taxed which means if I get the thing started tomorrow I can drive it home. It all sounds to good to be true now that I write it down. I've been restoring vauxhall since the mid eighties but I never thought I'd get the dream barn find. I'm away off up to get the car started tomorrow so I'll take some photos and get them posted.
Woo hoo!
Crystalvoyager
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: hb viva found just in time.

Postby chrismc » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:30 pm

I look forward to seeing the photos. Nice one :D
chrismc
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Retro morgs » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:51 pm

Sounds like a great little find,i look forward to seeing some photo's! Might be worth remembering that road tax is now non transferable,so the minute the dvla receive the log book from you it's not taxed anymore
68 HB bitza,72 HC 1159 Deluxe,74 HC 1800 SL auto,74 FE Ventora,94 2.8 Frontera
Retro morgs
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Crystalvoyager » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:20 pm

Hi folks
thanks for your good wishes. Fortunately here on the Isle of man we don't have mot's. The vehicle is tested once when I arrives on the island and a permanent licence is issued so it's just a case of taxing the car every year to the tune of £14.
I had planned to go up today but the owner hasn't been able to find the battery. I'll have to improvise with my transit battery tomorrow.
so looking forward to it
Crystalvoyager
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby Kraken » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:06 pm

£14!?

Costs about 20x that for my Capri :S
Kraken
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Crystalvoyager » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:22 pm

Hi folks.
I went up today to try and fire up the viva but after much ado I was unsucceful, good gap at the points, new plugs, auxiliary fueltank, good battery on board. She turns over ok but wasn't even trying. On closer inspection I think the carb has had it. Thr choke butterfly was fused to the venturi and when I put petrol in the aux tank it drained straight into the carb. All the spindle mech is well corroded. It'd been left for some period without the air filter attached. It's a down draft carb but I forgot to check if it was a zenith or nor. The last fd victor I had featured a zenith and I never got Thr flat spot out of it. Can anyone advise me if there are alternative down draft carb set ups available for this little car or even good recon original carb units on the market as I don't want to let this one go. She's a beaut. I'm going to hopefully strike a deal with the owner and then get it recovered to mine spot, then I can clean it thoughly, get a decent waterproof cover (any advise here please) and pick away at her.
I've tried to attach photos but the system says "the image pixels must be 0 high and 0 pixels wide, your image is 2048 pixels!! So I have some photos but no idea about posting on here.
Thankyou in advance for advise.
Crystalvoyager
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby pbottomley » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:05 pm

800 by 600

do you have monitor that can show 2048 pixels wide? if not why try to upload and image bigger then the monitor, loads of people just try it and fail, it am fussy as we host nearly 15000 images and if they were all full size it would melt the server and kill the bandwidth..

google on how to resize your images :goodluck:
pbottomley

Postby Crystalvoyager » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:23 pm

I don't have access to the Internet byway of my computer only my phone unfortunately. I'll see if I can resize the image on my phone but I doubt it
Crystalvoyager
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby Kraken » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:19 pm

Try TinyPic, I can use it from my phone.

Upload the pic, and then copy & paste the [IMG] code.
Kraken
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Crystalvoyager » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:34 pm

Ive downloaded the pics to my computer and resized them to the size you want but they end up a tiny little square.
Crystalvoyager
SL Viva
SL Viva

Next

Return to Found a Viva in real life?