1970 GT

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

Re: 1970 GT

Postby 1972nail » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:06 pm

Is all the welding done now? The video looks great, I didn't have the sound on loud enough to hear it clearly but it does sound nice. :)
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby jamezz666 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:28 pm

1972nail wrote:Is all the welding done now? The video looks great, I didn't have the sound on loud enough to hear it clearly but it does sound nice. :)

Ye all the welding is done now, just waiting for my mate to sand the body ect. I think he's spraying it will a layer of filler primer and then he's going to sand it and then spray on 2k paint. I didn't expect it too sound the way it does for a slant 4, but home made twin pipes has done the trick :D just need to buy all the rubber glass seals, stick all the parts back on and have the wheels refurbed, then I'll be on the road to freedom 8)
jamezz666
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby jamezz666 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:36 pm

Well everyone.. Here is a bit of a story for you! I will say before i start, i am now in a happier mind set and not feeling the need to open a can of whoop a.ss!
So i finished doing all the body 3 and a half months ago and the chap doing the checks to the body, a long with any finishers he may need to do, done hes job and this is where all hell broke loose.. I clearly stated to him and about 5 other people that i'm wanting/having the car in Opel Power Red and he tells me that's fine and he will be right on it. 2 months down the line, i'm in bed on my day off and my dad gives me a call and this is how it goes
Dad: James your viva is on the drive? (our work unit)
Me: Huh? what do you mean it's on the drive?
Dad: Well.. It's been left on the drive and i'm not sure you're going to like what you will see..
Me: i'll be round there in a minute

So as i'm pulling up outside my unit, i notice it standing out like a swore thumb in bright orange! yes orange! so i immediately put the car in the unit as it just started to rain and i rushed down to the chap next door to ask him why it's orange and when is he going to resolve the problem, for him to tell me he had tore down his booth on the weekend and will no longer be spraying again! i was more than fuming! as i have just lost £1000 on a spray job!
so cutting the story shorter now, i spent 2 weeks flatting it back to remove the imperfections, ready to just spray it myself and shut business for a bit, so i could get the car done.

As you can see from the photo's, there is a big difference in colour. I'm now waiting a couple of weeks for the red paint to fully cure, then i'll start flatting the imperfections to eventually end up with a nice finish hopefully.

photo upload site

So hopefully by the end of this year, it will be all back together and on the road 8)
i didn't get chance to get many images when it was orange, as i was far to angry to think about doing that.

All that's left to do is buy some screen rubbers + weather strips/ fit all the parts back on/ Have the wheels refurbed and tyres changed and change the front brake hoses.
Is the front brake hoses for the GT the same as the 1159cc hoses?
jamezz666
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Kraken » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:49 am

Good to see some progress and glad to hear you’re feeling better!

Why did he spray it orange though?!
Kraken
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Previous

Return to Restoration