E10 fuel introduction

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

E10 fuel introduction

Postby Bob perry » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:00 pm

I've just had my insurance renewal from Footman James, and a follow up e mail link takes me to a very interesting discussion re the Governments proposed introduction of Ethanol E10 to fuel in order to assist with environmental reduction targets.

The questions, and discussion points, are as to how it will affect Classic cars, and their performance.
It suggests that there could be degradation in fuel lines and damage to internal parts of carburettors, and possible re jetting of certain types of carbs could be needed.

On a contrary observation, it suggests that performances and mpg may well be improved!!

It's quite a long article, but worth a read, so maybe someone more qualified than me can put up a link on here for further discussion.
Mona Viva
Bob perry
GT Viva
GT Viva

Re: E10 fuel introduction

Postby jpsmit » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:10 pm

There are so many discussions. I only run (here) Shell Gold, no ethanol. Likewise in my lawnmower. I have had to clean my mower carb more than once but never since I use pure gas.

Anecdotal maybe but the MG just runs better - and the gas seems to last longer. Certainly less varnish.

I don't worry about it degrading hoses (but they are all newish)

my 2 cents.
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Re: E10 fuel introduction

Postby 1972nail » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:14 pm

For those who use Stromberg carbs I now supply a kit of ethanol safe O rings which will fit all Stromberg carbs fitted to Vivas of all engine sizes. So you don't have to buy a complete rebuild kit or worry about ordering the wrong kit. Just fit the O rings that you need for your carb.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Return to General Discussion