Distributor

Tips and help requests for your cars electrics. Post your tips help other sort problems out.

Distributor

Postby Keith W » Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:24 pm

Hi, My 1984 1256cc HA van runs like a pig. It has been suggested the distributor lug wears causing poor timing. My distributor has a brown cap which I am told is a Bosch unit. Can anyone confirm please and if so did Bosch distributor lugs wear like AC Delco ones did? Thanks.
Keith W
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Re: Distributor

Postby Bob perry » Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:19 pm

If it is a Bosch then it almost certainly has a brown cap. The later distributors had a single, central, drive shaft link instead of the offset Lucas or Delco ones on earlier HA's.
Not heard of the drive wearing, but it could be the connecting part which also drives the oil pump. This has a central slot to correspond with the Distributor drive, so may be where the wear is.
It could also be wear in the distributor drive bush causing the rotor arm to make/break contacts. Take the cap off to see if there is any sloppiness in the rotor. That will give you the first clue. Cracked and furred up distributor cap connections can also give similar symptoms, plus faulty leads, rotor or points. Easier, and cheaper, to change those first just to be sure.
Mona Viva
Bob perry
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Keith W » Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:40 pm

Thanks Bob, had a little fiddle around today. No play at points end, points and gap good. The MOT advised small hole in exhaust so that's on my list to examine but if exhaust is on it's way out I cannot find a silencer section anywhere. Cheers Keith.
Keith W
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby Bob perry » Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:12 pm

If you have a good white spark jumping when opening the points, and at the plugs, then it's more likely timing or a fuel problem.
HA carbs are known to be problematic, but worth a strip down and jet clean, and filter in fuel pump clean out.
I also fitted an in line fuel filter between tank and fuel pump.
Mona Viva
Bob perry
GT Viva
GT Viva

Return to Electrical help