viva HC dash bulb problem

Tips and help requests for your cars electrics. Post your tips help other sort problems out.

viva HC dash bulb problem

Postby foshi » Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:17 pm

hi having problems with the bulbs lighting up in the cluster, had no main beam light indicators oil light ect , managed to get the main beam and indicators working but then lost the ignition light bulbs dont seem to fit well , i think i might need to remove the speedo how hard to get out paul. it is a 1975 model
foshi
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: viva HC dash bulb problem

Postby droopsnoot » Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:01 pm

One of the problems I found is that the "tags" that make contact with the bulb holders break away after a while, leaving some of the bulbs not working. But, I am looking at the seven-dial dash, I don't know if it's the same on any of the others.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby 1972nail » Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:38 pm

Check that the big multi pin plug on the back is a secure fit. The contacts can corrode and cause problems too.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby foshi » Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:34 pm

ok think i may need to remove the speedo to have a good look , how hard is it to remove haynes manual only illustrates the round style dials advice would be welcome paul.
foshi
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby HC Fairley » Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:38 am

Hi Paul, Is it the rectangular letterbox style speedo?

To remove it you will need to remove the dash pad. It's not a super difficult job, I have had to do it a few times, the trickiest part is finding all the screws holding it in place. Taking the steering wheel off may also make it a little easier to do although I have always managed it with the wheel in place.

From memory, the screws are all located along the underside of the dash in the 2 open compartments. One below the glovebox and the other below the fresh air vent next to the drivers door.

If you look in around that general area you'll definitely see them.
HC Fairley
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby HC Fairley » Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:41 am

It's also worth noting if your ignition bulb is not working then your alternator will not charge the battery, as usual I learnt this the hard way. I'm no autospark but that's what mine told me and when he got the bulb working it did cure the problem. It must be required to complete the charging circuit?
HC Fairley
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:15 am

HC Fairley wrote:It's also worth noting if your ignition bulb is not working then your alternator will not charge the battery, as usual I learnt this the hard way. I'm no autospark but that's what mine told me and when he got the bulb working it did cure the problem. It must be required to complete the charging circuit?

Yes, I believe the current runs through the warning light.

I've just had the dash pad out of my Firenza, in fact it's still out. What I did:

Remove the dash infill panel to the left of the steering column.
Remove the steering wheel (you *may* get away without that)
Remove the steering column top cover
Remove all the nuts along the bottom of the dash - feel up behind the bottom of the dash to locate them. I think it's a deep drive 3/16" socket required.
Disconnect the main electrical connector.
Disconnect the speedo cable.

Mine's a seven-dial dash so there are more connections to remove, to the oil pressure gauge, rev counter, clock and battery meter. Well, not to the clock on mine as it's a separate battery-operated module. But normally there would be wires to it. I'm not sure what other connections are on the strip dash. Reading the manual suggests the strip speedo / instrument panel isn't fixed to the dash cover like the rest are.

It should then pull forward. If it's never been out, or not been out for a long time it will take a bit of moving as bits of foam will probably have stuck to the dash top. But take it very steady - you can easily damage the vinyl cover doing stuff like this.

Or, picture being a thousand words:

droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby HC Fairley » Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:57 am

droopsnoot wrote: Reading the manual suggests the strip speedo / instrument panel isn't fixed to the dash cover like the rest are.

I don't believe it is. There are 4 mounting points on the corners of the strip speedo to bolt it to the metal framework in behind the dash cover.

In terms of connections into the back of the panel there should only be a large connector with all the wires going into it and the speedo cable. There is a sort of PCB on the back of the unit that sends the power from the multi pin connector to the individual bulbs, fuel gauge and temp gauge.
HC Fairley
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby foshi » Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:35 pm

thank you all for all your help will have a look tomorrow, strangely the alternator seems to be charging my multimeter is showing just under 14v at 2000rpm just over 12 at idle strange paul
foshi
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby foshi » Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:52 pm

sorted you can not just remove the speedo on its own , problem was bad connections right hand indicator light contact strip was broken so rigged up a bulb holder that would fit then rewired into the indicator circuit now fine , going to need a alternator light shows very dimly even on revs.
foshi
SL Viva
SL Viva

Return to Electrical help