Wiring in Reverse light?

Tips and help requests for your cars electrics. Post your tips help other sort problems out.

Wiring in Reverse light?

Postby JimmyJam » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:27 pm

HI All, hope you are all well and looking forward to better days where we can drive our cars. Was wondering if someone could help me. I have some original reversing lights which I wish to attach to my HC. Right, as far as the wiring goes, the manual says that it should go from E2 on the fusebox, then down to the gearbox switch, which I have then on to the lights in the rear. No problem. The problem I have is the car is pretty immaculate, and was wondering how to run the wire from the lights to the fuse box. If I do it underneath the car, it will be easier, than running through the car under carpets etc. The only problem is, when I drilled through the rear valance area, I was expecting the drill to show through the other side, but the whole area is boxed in. Can anyone suggest what my options are, I am looking for the tidies option, not loads of wholes or wires hanging everywhere. Thank you and look forward to your replies. Thanks so much, Jimmy.
JimmyJam
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: Wiring in Reverse light?

Postby shamm » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:08 pm

It's easier than you think to run wires inside the car.
Just remove the kick plates and door seal and the carpet rolls back enough to feed a new wire down the edge of the floor.
Steve Hammond

Two 2.3 Viva's, one 2.3 Viva Estate, one 2.3 Magnum estate, half share in a 1.6 Viva auto, and no time (HC183)
shamm
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:40 pm

Yes, the rear valance is a box section. Normally you'd run the cable along the inside of the rear quarter with the rest of the loom, then drill a hole in the inner rear panel (inside the boot) and another in the outer rear. The one in the outer rear will be behind the reversing light, so it won't be seen. Use a suitable grommet on the one on the inside of the boot. If you use holes of a decent size with a grommet it will make it easier to feed the wire through from the inside to the outside panel.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby vx-mike » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:21 pm

Hi,

Whilst rooting about in my files for some old Viva info I came across some details from Vauxhall
for the official fitting of reverse lights to HC Vivas. If this is still of interest to you then pm me
your address and I will gladly send you a copy.

Mike
vx-mike
GT Viva
GT Viva

Return to Electrical help