fuse 2 keeps blowing on GT

Tips and help requests for your cars electrics. Post your tips help other sort problems out.

fuse 2 keeps blowing on GT

Postby blackdog » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:43 pm

Whilst driving home a couple of weeks ago my car come to a stand still as fuse number 2 blew, the only way of getting home was to re-wire the fuel pump from fuse number 2 to fuse number 3.....
Since then I've un-plugged everything which runs off fuse number 2 ( indicators, brake lights, fuel & temp guages, fuel pump etc ) and every time I turn the ignition on ( not starting the car though ) the Amp meter goes to -40 amps ( well off the gauge ) the fuse glows red hot then blows....I've changed the ignition barrel and replaced the ignition flange ( the rubber bit behind the barrel )
But now i have a fuse in and it's not blowing anymore but nothing works at all that runs of fuse number 2 now.....This did happen once yesterday so I took everything off that runs on fuse number 2 and replaced them, I was starting to see sucess ( everything was working fuel pump indicators brake lights etc ) until I plugged in the rev counter ( which I put onto fuse 3 as I had an idea this caused it )....But now like I said there is a fuse in number 2 but it's not blowing any more but nothing works at all that runs of fuse number 2...
This is definately begining to do my head in... :angrywife: :angrywife:
clive
blackdog
GT Viva
GT Viva

Re: fuse 2 keeps blowing on GT

Postby hbpeter » Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:09 pm

Sounds like a short circuit somewhere in the loom, its moving hence why sometimes it blows and sometimes it dosent. Or the wire was damaged and going to earth, and now its burnt through, hence nothing working. Not going to be easy to find.

Peter
Reading between the lines, dangerous if your waiting for a train.
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby blackdog » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:57 pm

Cheers Peter for the info....But been thinking stuff like the brake lights and indicators, the fuse would only blow once they have been turned on , so I could probably discount them, as the fuse blows immediatly once the ignition is turned on..
I think I will have a go at trying everything from fuse 2 ont another fuse to see if it still works....But if the problem i is on the live side what is the best route to take, sorry about all the questions ....?
clive
blackdog
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby blackdog » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:21 pm

Just a quick update on the problem with my car, I spent last weekend armed with my wiring diagram and I rewired the whole of the Live side of the fuse box which is on fuse number 2...And it still read -40 amps......Then I unplugged everything on the the otherside of fuse number 2 ( this connection contains about 7 wires, I guess all the things which runs off fuse number 2 ) Then I plugged in it's place a fuel pump into the connection....And now the Amp meter reads about -5 amps when the ignition is turned on....So it looks as though the problem isn't on the live side of the fuse box...But on the devices connected to the fuse....So this weekend I shall hopefully find the culprit by connecting things one at a time to fuse 2......
It's such a nice feeling to do electrical/mechanical jobs by yourself and not involve any professionals...well so far ( and cheaper... )
clive
blackdog
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby blackdog » Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:18 pm

Hurrah Hurrah , I think I've found the problem wire, it was a redundant wire coming off the regulalator ( I think modern alternators have regulators built into them ) So I'm hoping it's not needed anymore as it's not connected now......Everything is working fine now fuse 2 doesn't blow no more and the alternator is charging aswell ( it's showing a postive charge on the amp meter )....So hopefully I've cracked it....
clive
blackdog
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby hbpeter » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:16 pm

Well done, you got more patience than I have! Yes alternators do have regulators built in.

Peter :respekt:
Reading between the lines, dangerous if your waiting for a train.
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby blackdog » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:33 pm

HBPeter wrote:Well done, you got more patience than I have! Yes alternators do have regulators built in.

Peter :respekt:

Thanks Peter, I feel really chuffed at the moment so to celebrate I'm off up the pub now....
:P :P :P
clive
blackdog
GT Viva
GT Viva

Return to Electrical help