Flasher "indicator" light?

Tips and help requests for your cars electrics. Post your tips help other sort problems out.

Flasher "indicator" light?

Postby Alexander » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:37 pm

Hi!
I have a problem with my HA.. I cant get the in car flash signal light to work properly.. It doesnt have a stock relay, its a new universal one.. But anyway, how should it be wired? The flashers wirk fine, but i cant get the in car to work. The relay one have 3 connections, 1 earth, 1 for power and one for the selector. So i guess the in car light should be connected to the same as the one for the connector? I did this, no luck.. Tried to have all the power from the relay through the in car light, and then to the selector, didnt help either.. Or it did work at first! But then the flashers on the outside stopped working, and only the one inside work, but if i then "shortwire" so that the in car doesnt have anything to do with it, the outside ones work as they should..
ANyone that knows what the problem can be?! Happy for any suggestions! :)

//Alex
Last edited by Alexander on Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vauxhall Viva HA 1964
Alexander
GT Viva
GT Viva

Re: Flasher "warning" light?

Postby viva les vegas » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:31 am

Have you got the original? Even if it doesn't work, might be able to get a number off it. I'm guessing the original is only two pin as it is on my HC, but never played with an HA. I saw some new two pin 2x21W flasher relays (and 4x21W) in Halfords the other week. Might be able to get one over to you to try if noone else can suggest how to fix it.
Remember, some days you're the statue, and others, you're the pigeon ;)
Life is a journey, not a destination.

used to be HB259
viva les vegas
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Re: Flasher "warning" light?

Postby Alexander » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:01 am

viva les vegas wrote:Have you got the original? Even if it doesn't work, might be able to get a number off it. I'm guessing the original is only two pin as it is on my HC, but never played with an HA. I saw some new two pin 2x21W flasher relays (and 4x21W) in Halfords the other week. Might be able to get one over to you to try if noone else can suggest how to fix it.

I have the one that was in it when i bought the car, but im pretty sure that also was a 3 pin! What i think is so weird is that both inside and outside lamps worked a while and then the outside ones just died.. :?
Is there anyone that knows how its wired on a "modern" car? I mean if all the power is supposed to go through the light on the inside first, or if it should be on some other way..
I will ask in school when i begin next week if i havent found the problem! :)
Vauxhall Viva HA 1964
Alexander
GT Viva
GT Viva

Re: Flasher "indicator" light?

Postby Alexander » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:33 pm

Well, now im about to give this up.. I have asked in school, and i have tried everything we could come up with, but nothing worked.. So if noone knows how it "should" be done or something that works i will give this up. Just sucks to not knowing if the flashers are on or not..

//Alex
Vauxhall Viva HA 1964
Alexander
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby dann01 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:59 pm

Just a thought, but in the Haynes manuals, isn't there a wiring diagram?

Must admit I don't know much about the HA's, but are you 100% that the in car bulbs are okay and that all the feeds are good.

99 times out of a 100, problems with indicators and related items turns out to be poor earth problems. (Are HA's pos earths though?) in which case the neg feeds could be at fault.

Also, on the HC the indicator repeaters in the dash are fed from the indicator stalk switch, if the HA's are the same, then it could well be contacts here that are messing you about rather than the flasher unit.
Sometimes, I wonder why I bother, and then for one fleeting moment things will go right for a change.
dann01
Club Treasurer

Postby Alexander » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:53 pm

dann01 wrote:Just a thought, but in the Haynes manuals, isn't there a wiring diagram?

Must admit I don't know much about the HA's, but are you 100% that the in car bulbs are okay and that all the feeds are good.

99 times out of a 100, problems with indicators and related items turns out to be poor earth problems. (Are HA's pos earths though?) in which case the neg feeds could be at fault.

Also, on the HC the indicator repeaters in the dash are fed from the indicator stalk switch, if the HA's are the same, then it could well be contacts here that are messing you about rather than the flasher unit.

Yes there is a wiring diagram in it, but i cant understand anything about it..
Yes, the in car bulb is brand new.
It doesnt feel like it whould be bad earth, since it always works, just not at the same time.. Some HAs are pos earth, but not mine. Dont know if its been converted though..
indicator stalk switch? Dont understand what that is..
Vauxhall Viva HA 1964
Alexander
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby viva les vegas » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:49 am

It's the bit that is attached to the steering column and operates the headlight flash, indicators, main beam and horn. The stalk is the part you move to make all those parts work.
Remember, some days you're the statue, and others, you're the pigeon ;)
Life is a journey, not a destination.

used to be HB259
viva les vegas
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Alexander » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:40 am

viva les vegas wrote:It's the bit that is attached to the steering column and operates the headlight flash, indicators, main beam and horn. The stalk is the part you move to make all those parts work.

ok, then i understand. But im pretty sure the contacts there are allright.. But will look it up!
Vauxhall Viva HA 1964
Alexander
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby raplma » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:56 pm

I came across a couple of sites when I re-wired my brothers kit car which may help (or add to the confusion).

The first has links to two diagrams for the usual wiring on older cars with no hazard switch, the second has two links to diagrams where the hazard switch is present. The third is for reference how I wired up my kit car with a modern hazard switch system.

Mark

http://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/product/405
http://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/product/406
http://westfield-world.com/durite.htm
It's a Viva Jim just not as you knows it . . . well it used to be it's now a Sylva Star kit car
raplma
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Return to Electrical help