wiring the 2 speed wiper switch...

Tips and help requests for your cars electrics. Post your tips help other sort problems out.

wiring the 2 speed wiper switch...

Postby yoeddynz » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:23 am

I have been given a 2 speed wiper switch to suit my 2 speed motor I took from spares car. The spares car had been fully rewired with an HC loom.

2 questions..

The switch I've been given is actually another HB headlight switch- I guessing it will still work as it has two 'on' positions. Unless a 2 speed wiper switch goes from off to 'on' out via one wire and then 'on' 'on' out two wires?

I'm not sure which wires go where- between my three manuals I have conflicting ideas.

The wires are (HC wires from same donar car to suit the motor) white/green, yellow/red, red/green and blue/green (or might be green/blue)

I think the white/green is the feed from ignition.
any help appreciated.
alex
yoeddynz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Re: wiring the 2 speed wiper switch...

Postby viva les vegas » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:40 pm

You're not in a position to power anything up to use a test light yet, are you? If the HB headlight switch is like the HC one on the inside, then the first on position will be live when the second one is engaged, so might not work as you'd be sending two signals at the same time. If you can take it apart to have a look (that's what I did recently) and maybe modify the slider inside to not make electrical contact with the first on position, then it'd work. As for the wires, I have only single speed, but if you'd like, I'll have a look under there to see which is the feed to the switch and get back to you.
Remember, some days you're the statue, and others, you're the pigeon ;)
Life is a journey, not a destination.

used to be HB259
viva les vegas
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby yoeddynz » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:32 pm

If its no hassle then yes please do. No rush though as for the next week I'll be hiking the Able Tasman track :D

When I'm back I'll have a look inside the light switch.

How does a 2 speed wiper motor change its speed? Is there a resistor built into the 1st speed to slow it down. Or on the second speed does the motor have twice the amount of windings engaged (like two sets of brushes - one pair for 1st speed and 2 pairs engaged for 2nd speed ??? :?
yoeddynz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby viva les vegas » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:55 pm

Think that's how it works. Probably like a two speed heater fan. I'll have a looksee for you either on Saturday after the weddings, or on Sunday. May be able to get some pics too. See how things go. Got some starting probs at the mo lol
Remember, some days you're the statue, and others, you're the pigeon ;)
Life is a journey, not a destination.

used to be HB259
viva les vegas
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby raplma » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:30 pm

I'm just about to sort a similar situation on my brothers kit car (which incidentally is HC based) where he has a light switch for the wiper switch (Off - A - A+B). I came across the site linked below which details two ways of wiring the two speed up, I am yet to try either so cannot comment, but I'll let you know when I get round to doing it if you don't get it sorted in the meantime. I guess the first method works with a switch like the light switch the second method with a standard two position switch (Off - A - B).

http://www.vitessesteve.co.uk/LucasStuff/LucasStuff2.html

Mark
It's a Viva Jim just not as you knows it . . . well it used to be it's now a Sylva Star kit car
raplma
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Return to Electrical help