Radio Wiring

Tips and help requests for your cars electrics. Post your tips help other sort problems out.

Radio Wiring

Postby oli8925 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:16 pm

Where is the best and neatest place to take the power for the radio from on an HC?

The PO used choc blocks and scotch locks to wire in to the wiring coming off the ignition switch, but I've never been confident of it nor do I like the use of choc blocks and scotch locks too much.

I'm currently re-wiring my radio and wiring in a cig lighter, so am putting the new ignition switch I have in as well as it's not all chopped up. I would take power from the bulkhead connector but I need to order in some of the bullet connectors or find a place near that sells them.

Oli
1989 Blue Mini 1000 Rebuild
1975 White De Luxe Viva HC
1994 Saab 9000 CSE
2002 F*rd Puma Thunder
oli8925
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Re: Radio Wiring

Postby hbpeter » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:41 pm

Run a wire straight to the battery with an inline fuse.

Peter
Reading between the lines, dangerous if your waiting for a train.
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby viva les vegas » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:00 pm

I found that there's an ignition live wire behind the dash that wasn't connected to anything on mine, and took a feed for a permanent live from the lights. Also took a feed from the sidelights to my stereo so that when the lights are on, the stereo goes dim :)
Remember, some days you're the statue, and others, you're the pigeon ;)
Life is a journey, not a destination.

used to be HB259
viva les vegas
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby oli8925 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:42 am

I'm now thinking I might as well wait until the connectors come so I can do it through the bulkhead connector. In the mean time I'll continue to use the old switch with the radio scotch lock connections in.

I also took a feed from the sidelight to the stereo so that it dims, although on mine it's only a few buttons that dim and not the whole display which is annoying as its a little too bright to be comfortable at night :roll: I also took a feed from here for the light on the cigarette lighter. This should work shouldn't it?

I might also put an amp in the boot. What's the best option for power? Run a cable down from the front underneath the car and through the boot floor? Was a lot easier in the Mini :lol:
1989 Blue Mini 1000 Rebuild
1975 White De Luxe Viva HC
1994 Saab 9000 CSE
2002 F*rd Puma Thunder
oli8925
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby viva les vegas » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:04 am

The wire for the cigarette lighter is already there, or should be. I might be tempted to run a cable through to the boot on the inside rather than under.
Remember, some days you're the statue, and others, you're the pigeon ;)
Life is a journey, not a destination.

used to be HB259
viva les vegas
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby dann01 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:18 am

I would run quite a heavy fresh live feed via a small fuse box through the bulkhead, running through the car and into the boot for the amp... I'd also use anothe fuse on same box for the Stereo unit. But that's just me.

There should be a spare live and neg under the dash for the cigarette lighter, behind the dash panel to the left of the wheel. If I remember right they are a switched green and white live and a purple and white neg with spades on.

Dan
Sometimes, I wonder why I bother, and then for one fleeting moment things will go right for a change.
dann01
Club Treasurer

Return to Electrical help