Starting problems

Tips and help requests for your cars electrics. Post your tips help other sort problems out.

Starting problems

Postby steff » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:41 pm

Hi all

Hope someone can help I am out of ideas :evil:

My 1159 HC would not start, made a whirring noise but nothing else, starter not turning. Removed the starter and checked it, it was fine. Noticed the solenoid was vibrating and that's where the whirring noise was coming from. Got a NOS solenoid from Paul C today and tried it tonight.

With the new solenoid in place it still makes the whirring sound, the headlights go on when the key is turned and you can feel the solenoid vibrating. Lucky the solenoid Paul gave me was the old type with the push button on the top, when you push the button on the top and turn the key the vibration and the whirring noise disappear but the headlights still come on.

Went and borrowed a voltmeter and tried all the tests listed in ye olde Haynes manual and all the readings were correct, battery still has a good charge showing 12v.

Anyone come across this problem before.

Cheers

Steff
HC496
steff
GT Viva
GT Viva

Re: Starting problems

Postby skinner » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:36 am

i would check the battery, i have seen batterys that have 12 volts but no cranking amps (cca)
try putting a boost on it , or installing a known good battery ( wifes car ) as a test :angrywife:
if your cars starts with a boost or the battery from elsewhere (wifes car) :angrywife:
then you will have to get a replacement, cause the wife will want hers back . :D :D
:goodluck:
skinner
SL Viva
SL Viva

Return to Electrical help