How do I wire in 2 speed wipers? I'm stuck...

Tips and help requests for your cars electrics. Post your tips help other sort problems out.

How do I wire in 2 speed wipers? I'm stuck...

Postby yoeddynz » Sat May 14, 2011 11:46 am

Hello all. One of the last jobs to do for my HB with the funny rotating triangles is to wire up the 2 speed wipers I have fitted. I have been given a spare head light switch which I ve been told should work- as it has two 'on' positions.

These are the wires coming from the wiper motor...

On the switch I think one wire has to have a feed all the time? - its the self parking feed. Not sure which wire that one is though - i think its the white/green one. I think both 'on' positions should feed the self park. And I think the difference between the 1 speed and 2 speed motor is that 2 speed has an extra brush between the two usual ones which effectively speeds it up? (my usual electrical circuit explanations to people via the application of imagining electrical gnomes does not seem to work on this one- they are all drunk it seems)

So.....looking at the Haynes manual I have which covers OHC vivas hb, hc and firenzas doesnt help- only one diagram covers 2 speed wipers under 'optional' extras and it is a theoretical one in which I can see how it works but cant work out the colours. I have tried wiring it in a couple of different ways but guessing at it with only a blown fuse as the result. Did most Vivas only have 1 speed wipers???

If someone can help that would be great- I know its simple and I've done worst but this has me beat :(
yoeddynz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Re: How do I wire in 2 speed wipers? I'm stuck...

Postby raplma » Sat May 14, 2011 2:14 pm

When re-wiring my brother kit car which uses the Viva HB wiring loom I came across a site linked below which details two ways of wiring up a two speed wiper motor, I am yet to try either so cannot comment, but it might be of some help or hindrance. The Yellow and Light Green wire on the HB/HC loom is the NLG (brown and Light green) in the diagram, if I'm wrong have a spare fuse handy :oops:

Assuming the Viva is standard colours then:
Red/Light Green wire is speed 1
Blue/Light Green wire is speed 2
Yellow/Light Green is park
Whit/Green is Ignition switched power to the wiper
Black is earth

I guess the first diagram works with a switch like the light switch (Off - A - A+B), the second method with a standard two position switch (Off - A - B).

http://www.vitessesteve.co.uk/LucasStuff/LucasStuff2.html

I hope this gives you a starter for ten until someone who truly knows replies

Good luck

Mark
It's a Viva Jim just not as you knows it . . . well it used to be it's now a Sylva Star kit car
raplma
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby yoeddynz » Sun May 15, 2011 8:04 am

Hey thanks very much! :D I'll have a go with that info and get back to ya. If anyone else can add anything please do. I'll also ask my friendly auto sparkie as he is both old.. and into old cars. :)
yoeddynz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby midlands_nick » Sun May 15, 2011 11:08 am

on the humber it only had the two wires going into the motor, but on the outside it had a massive resistor that I presume created the low speed and another live feedingto the motor end of it that created the high speed..

sorry. dont help much HA is single speed though, well mine was
midlands_nick
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby yoeddynz » Thu May 19, 2011 9:34 am

The resistor must have got plenty hot eh?! :shock:
yoeddynz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby midlands_nick » Thu May 19, 2011 7:48 pm

its managed 46 years of going back an forth so far ;)

I think you are right to be honest.. there is a life feed for parking the wipers which is always on..(ign fed)
and then a ground wire, but your motor only seems to have two wires going down it.. although of course this could be one live or two lives for high speed.. I reckon take that top cover off and see where they are going
midlands_nick
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby terry161157 » Mon May 23, 2011 8:27 pm

The wiper motor system should have 1 ignition switched +ve live wire (this is the parking circuit) - the next +ve live comes from the wiper switch to motor (this should be the wiper switch slow speed +ve live) - the final +ve live should come from the wiper switch to motor (this should be the fast speed +ve live),, Now here is your problem, a light switch has a 2 switched +ve live supply (one for sidelights, two for dip beam) this means that both of these are +ve live when both light circuits are on. On a wiper system only one +ve live must come from the wiper switch at any given time,

----ie wiper parking circuit ign +ve live, slow speed wiper switched +ve live, fast speed NO switched +ve feed
----ie wiper parking circuit ign +ve live, slow speed NO switched +ve feed, fast speed wiper switched +ve live

If it were mine I would run this via a 2 way switching relay, reasonably easy if you understand relay configurations, let me know if you need any help with this okay ?

Terry
Got my HB Viva, Happy Days ............
terry161157
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby yoeddynz » Fri May 27, 2011 10:46 pm

cool- cheers for that info. I'll double check my light switch as I it has more outputs than what is needed by the light circuit and I have a feeling there is what you describe needed via the switch. If not yeah I could use a relay.

Or has anyone got a spare 2 speed switch? :)

Oh and i'm hoping not to have to open top of wiper- as it means taking loads out to get to it :(
yoeddynz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Return to Electrical help