Front Speaker Fitting

Tips and help requests for your cars electrics. Post your tips help other sort problems out.

Front Speaker Fitting

Postby oli8925 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:07 pm

I'm currently part way through installing a sound system in my car as well as tidying up some of the wiring. The way I'm doing it is to have a 4 channel amp in the boot, my current 5x7" speakers on the parcel shelf will be wired in so that they have more of a bass response, and the front channel will go to crossover units for tweeters and 13cm woofers in the front.

My number 1 aim from all of this is to make as few holes in the Viva as possible, and to keep everything looking standard or 'factory finish'. I.e. not what would have come from Luton in the 70's, but a speaker pod or whatever that looks very unassuming and ties in with the rest of the car.

I'm struggling to find somewhere to put the 13cm woofers. Door cards are out of the question because they're in good condition and in that funny blue colour, so hard to replicate and make new cards. I've thought of pods in the foot wells but there doesn't seem enough space given the amount of room my right foot needs to move from accelerator to brake pedal. So I've come up with modifying/remaking the front dash shelves, or hiding the speakers right at the back of the dash.

I'd love to make modified shelves and I've put a lot of thought into it, but the passenger side is causing problems because I want to retain some of the shelf part. I've gone from remoulding the whole thing in fiberglass with a box incorporated in the corner, so that it look like it should be there as an all-in-one moulding. Then reinforcing the box with a metal frame incorporated into the fibreglass layers. Then having a seperate metal box and moulding a new shelf, just with a smaller shelf area. Where I'm stuck is the fact it needs to bend and twist to put it in and get it out making fibreglass unsuitable, and I have no idea how to get around it. But that would be my ideal solution. Any ideas or help on that would be great. I know it's a lot of work and effort for not much gain but I'm too persistent and stubborn for my own good, and if done right would look great.

If it turns out that plan just isn't possible, or even as a short term solution while that plan goes ahead, how do people mount their speakers under/behind the dashboard? Is the speaker enclosed or open? As again I don't want to cut any big holes into the bodywork (obviously screw holes or holes to pass wire through are going to be necessary). I've read in a few threads Danny did the same in his old Viva, if you could post or pm me any further details hat would be great :respekt: I just didn't want to bump a thread that was several years old.

Any other opinions more than welcome :thanx:

Oli
1989 Blue Mini 1000 Rebuild
1975 White De Luxe Viva HC
1994 Saab 9000 CSE
2002 F*rd Puma Thunder
oli8925
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Re: Front Speaker Fitting

Postby oli8925 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:16 pm

My boot board. Considering my inability at cutting wood in a straight line or getting any of my dimensions right I'm amazed at how well it fits. Pretty pleased with the job actually. :D

1994 Saab 9000 CSE
2002 F*rd Puma Thunder
oli8925
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby dann01 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:03 pm

I have front speakers in Darth, you wouldn't know were there... The trouble is, you need to be a contorsionist to do it.

The corners where the front wheel arch meets the front bulk head is almost a dead 90 degree angle. So, cut two squares of MDF large enough to take the size of speaker. 13 cm is about 5 inches. I made mine 6 inches square. Cut you hole for the speaker off centre leaving as much room as you can on two sides of the MDF as you can. To these to sides, bolt, screw, right angle brackets. Pre-drill the fixing holes for the speaker. Then... And this is the tricky part, screw or bolt the bracket as high up in the footwells as you can get without fowling shelving or wires. This will give your, and your passengers feet plenty off room without fear of accidentally kicking the speakers.Then screw your speaker in from the bottom.

You now have front speakers, with no visible sign that they are there at all. Adjustment on the fade will compensate for the angle of the speakers facing downward, and if you use 10mm or thicker MDF, and secure tight enough you will minimise vibration/reverb through the bodywork.

Believe me, there is room up there, it's just bloody tricky to get at if you have the seats and shelves in.

Dan
Sometimes, I wonder why I bother, and then for one fleeting moment things will go right for a change.
dann01
Club Treasurer

Postby oli8925 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:56 pm

Thanks Danny, sounds like a winner :D I've got a tonne of 12mm MDF leftover from doing the rear board anyway so will get cutting. Looking forward to having my first half decent sound system in a car. My last car, the Mini, had nothing but a pair of awful quality 10cm speakers up front and a 12" sub in the rear bulkhead for a laugh as it was already screwed in by the PO.
1994 Saab 9000 CSE
2002 F*rd Puma Thunder
oli8925
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby viva les vegas » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:29 pm

I've got my 10cm front speakers up in the dash, but again you have to be a contortionist to get them in there. They're near the air vents, and not enclosed. I did try to place them in the side panels, but access and sound quality made me change my mind
Remember, some days you're the statue, and others, you're the pigeon ;)
Life is a journey, not a destination.

used to be HB259
viva les vegas
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Return to Electrical help