'75 Indicator Electrical Connectors

Tips and help requests for your cars electrics. Post your tips help other sort problems out.

'75 Indicator Electrical Connectors

Postby oli8925 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:31 pm

I've just finished cleaning up a pair of Magnum/Chevette indicators with the sidelights included, but my car doesn't have the sidelight wiring on the loom or the right connectors.

Wiring is fine, but I don't want to chop off the connector on the loom, so I can put the original indicators on when I want to, so I'll chop the Magnum indicators instead. But for this I need to get the same type of connectors and plugs as are currently on the loom and orange indicators, and no matter where I look I can't find any for sale :imsmiling:

Does anyone know where sells them? They're the odd one's with what looks like two male spades.
1989 Blue Mini 1000 Rebuild
1975 White De Luxe Viva HC
1994 Saab 9000 CSE
2002 F*rd Puma Thunder
oli8925
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Re: '75 Indicator Electrical Connectors

Postby dann01 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:35 am

Just a small hint, but a normal female spade fits in that connector, so as a temp measure, they could be used.

Dan
Sometimes, I wonder why I bother, and then for one fleeting moment things will go right for a change.
dann01
Club Treasurer

Postby oli8925 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:42 pm

Thanks Dan, I've done that for now to swap them over. No pictures yet as I'm still waiting on the right coloured wire for the sidelights, I'm not sure it's an improvement though, nor does it make it worse. An indifferent change I think. Will need to get some new orange units though, all the studs have sheared on one side, and on the other the studs started spinning. Drilling them out didn't go too well :roll: reflectors were awful anyway.

I also guess these were Chevette rather than Magnum indicators, on account of the completely different connectors and the fact the wires weren't long enough to reach the loom.
1994 Saab 9000 CSE
2002 F*rd Puma Thunder
oli8925
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:40 am

Those are different to mine, I guess because yours originally had the sidelights in the headlamp unit - my connectors are the two-pin Ripaults units like in other parts of the loom.

As I understand it, the main difference between Chevette and Magnum units is that Chevette ones have plastic bodies, whereas the Magnum ones are made of some kind of "metal", I'm not sure what.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby oli8925 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:42 pm

These had metal bodies and the two-pin connectors so I presume they were Magnum ones. Haynes diagrams show indicator/sidelights on the '75 wiring diagram, but not on '74, so perhaps mine was manufactured late 74/early 75 so didn't have that loom?

Do the wires for the indicators on your loom reach down to the hole that goes through the inner wing to the indicators? Mine stop quite a bit short and wouldn't reach the Magnum lights.

So I guess the loom changed slightly sometime in 1975?
1994 Saab 9000 CSE
2002 F*rd Puma Thunder
oli8925
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:57 am

As I recall it, the connector is about halfway from the chassis rail to the hole, but I'll try to remember to check over the weekend as it's the kind of thing I only look at when there's a problem. It was all re-wired at one point (when you could still easily get the Ripaults connectors) but I don't recall changing any wire lengths, and I didn't do the sidelight/indicator wires. I've got some Chevette ones to go on, but haven't got around to it yet.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Return to Electrical help