Arching Distributor Cap and Cylinder

Tips and help requests for your cars electrics. Post your tips help other sort problems out.

Arching Distributor Cap and Cylinder

Postby golden wonder » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:08 pm

Hi All,

Firstly.....*coughs to clear throat*.......................HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! :-)

Secondly my car is ill..:-( it appears that the distributor cap is arching and making one of the cylinder miss (or something, mechanic told me)....What will I need to repair this please?

I have been told to get a distributor cap, plugs, points, leads and a condenser. Does this sound about right? Thanks
golden wonder
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: Arching Distributor Cap and Cylinder

Postby golden wonder » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:04 pm

What does the condenser do in the distributor cap anyway??

and what are points??? Is it this part http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Contact-point ... 2499wt_698

???

golden wonder
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby viva2300 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:27 pm

Sounds like the dizzy cap is cracked....new one needed....and yes you may as well go through the whole thing and renew the lot.....not a kings ransom....

Condenser supresses sparking and helps stop rapid wear of points
S. EAST AREA REP
1972 Viva 2300 SL 4DR
1973 Viva 2300 SL 4DR + one on paper.
1973 Viva 2300 SL EState
1973 Viva 1800 SL 4DR not for long
1971 Viva 1600 SL 4DR AUTO
1974 HP Firenza Droopsnoot

TOO MANY CARS NOT ENOUGH MONEY OR TIME
viva2300
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby hbpeter » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:39 pm

Yes they are points, they make and break the circuit that supplies the spark at the right time. The gap between the contacts is critical. The condenser stores the charge needed to make a spark across the points, I think. They can break down and look perfect. Try cleaning the dizzy cap, if its dirty that can cause tracking, but most likely it will have a hairline crack.

Peter
Reading between the lines, dangerous if your waiting for a train.
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby golden wonder » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:57 pm

Hey thank you for the replies...Ill get everything and see if it helps :-)
golden wonder
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby thomas » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:51 am

You might see the spark visibly arcing somewhere if you have a look in the dark. A good clean of the distributor cap, internally and outside, and HT leads, and a douse with a water-dispersant like wd40 might effect a cure, but possibly only a temporary one, unless the cause is just damp/humidity. Removal of and cleanup of the spark plugs with a wire brush, regap them if necessary and clean up the white insulator body might help too. Clean the points with clean bit of cloth too, not fibrous paper which can leave bits behind Before doing anything label both ends of each plug lead with the cylinder it belongs to, 1,2,3,4 starting at the front, going towards back (firing order is 1342), tracing each leads route and inspecting them for burning or chafing, a loop of masking tape is good for this as you can write on it with a biro. If it doesn't cure then trial and error with new parts (but don't always assume new parts are assuredly 'good') is the best way and many of the parts such as plugs, points, condenser are service items so replacement of those as routine inevitably necessary anyhow and plug leads do degrade just with the heat and vibration, you might want to look at electronic ignition kits too, much discussed here, but you need to sort out your HT (high tension) side first, rotor-arm, distributor cap, ht leads and plugs.

A plug-socket, wire-brush, feeler gauges, screwdriver and a spanner to turn the front pulley - to turn the engine over to get the points fully open on a cam - are the minimum you'll need. A strobe light is great too but not essential, to get the timing smack on, by loosening the clamp and moving the distributor body round as you watch the timing pointer on front pulley. If you've any manual or handbook have a good read through there too, more tools you can acquire with time and tackling something armed with your just your wits is the best way to learn on the job and is very satisfying and quickly builds towards the ability to tackle other jobs yourself, with ease and confidence.
thomas
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby pbottomley » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:53 pm

The key normally is a methodical approach to things, a Haynes book with answers to most things and some time to work on it.... Remember the dizzy and ignition system in all vivas dates back tot eh first HA's which are now approaching 50 years of age, which implies its not like modern cars that just work. That said the new electronic ignition units for sale on eBay are a great idea and remove much of the worry. I recommend them as a good investment.
pbottomley

Postby golden wonder » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:31 am

Hi,

Thank you for the replies. I will have a go at changing the dist cap, leads and spark plugs. Being a woman I only have a screwdriver :-D..Will see what dad has in his garage :-)

Two more questions...when mechanics say the points and plugs want changing...are these the points they are on about? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Contact-point ... 5ae297056c

If I replace the spark plugs, how do I know how much of a gap to leave in the spark plug and how far down to screw them in?

golden wonder
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby pbottomley » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:29 pm

99% of the answers will be the Haynes book, I cannot recommend strongly enough to buy one.

when you screw new plugs in turn them all the way in until its starts to go tight, then give then a 45 degree turn extra (maximum) to hold them in place nicely. Plug gap is 28 to 32 thou of an inch.

If your new to working on cars I would recommend you ditch the points and condenser for one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vauxhall-Viva-Electronic-ignition-kit-1-1-1-2-1-3-16-Delco-distributor-/120783217331?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1c1f3da2b3

That way you never need look at the points again. :goodluck:
pbottomley

Postby thomas » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:49 pm

Agree with pbottomley above electronic kit is the way to go, it'll pay for itself in a short time. I've a kit arrived this morning so I'll be fitting it before lunch today, I'll try to take some pictures and document the process, it'll be far easier than fitting and setting the points would be, I got the Powerspark kit (and mines is a Bosch distributor), a little bit cheaper at £29.95 dealing with them directly, but available on ebay too for not much more http://www.simonbbc.com/electronic-ignition-kits.

I'd change one thing though at a time and make sure it runs before changing the next item. Good luck with it.
thomas
GT Viva
GT Viva

Next

Return to Electrical help