solonoid

Tips and help requests for your cars electrics. Post your tips help other sort problems out.

solonoid

Postby rolo7011 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:01 pm

(Sorry for bad english)

Hi,

The start engine of my hc doesn't responds on the ignition switch,

I think its the solonoid..

The left bolt goes to the battery
The right bolt goes to the start engine
The pin ad the front side goes to the ignition switch
And the pin ad the back side comes from the ignition switch

If you do this:

you should hear a click,
I don't hear that,
Is that a sign that its broken?

Roel
rolo7011
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: solonoid

Postby thomas » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:03 pm

It should click when it's internal electromagnet is energised, and thus makes the connection between the heavy lead to the starter motor and the heavy lead to the battery. Under the heavy lead from the battery's nut will also be a slightly thinner lead bringing the charge up from the alternator and another similar lead going from there supplying the fusebox and other circuits with power.

Then there are two normal thickness leads which will attach to the two spade type terminals, only one of these comes from the ignition switch that one is white with a red stripe, the other, is white with a blue stripe, it actually goes to the ignition coil and it only becomes live when the starter motor is operating, once its 'clicked' that one then becomes live (it will actually be live when the ignition is on but only as a side effect of its connection at its other end to the coil).

In the pictures, the heavy red lead is from the battery, it is nearest the battery at the mounting bracket hole side of the solenoid, the heavy black lead goes straight to the starter, any of the slightly thinner wires that have round type terminal connections, rather than spades, go under the big red battery cable, the heavy black cable to the starter motor does not share its connecting post with any other wires.

The white/blue connection is towards the front of the car, this feeds the coil with 12v when the starter is turning the engine over, the white/red wire shown is the feed from the ignition switch.

The electromagnet inside the solenoid earths - makes its negative connection - through the solenoids metal mounting bracket, so in your test setup, you should put a nut and bolt or attach a crocodile clip from the solenoid's mounting bracket holes or its metal body to the negative post of the battery and momentarily connect a live, positive lead from the battery to the spade terminal that had the white/red connection originally made to it, it should then click, during this test nothing needs to be or should be connected to the spade terminal of the solenoid that had the white/blue connection.

These wire colours and connections at the solenoid are on an HB Viva, your HC should be much the same. I hope. :)

I hope this helps (and is roughly correct), anything that I can clarify, do ask, your written English is very good.
thomas
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby rolo7011 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:57 pm

thanks thomas,

For me its to difficult,

Can you be a little bit clearer about the test setup?

The colours are same,

But by the pin behind the solonoid goes 2 cables away, not one that you see on your picture

Roel
rolo7011
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby thomas » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:55 pm

The easiest way to test is to hold the metal body of the solenoid - the mounting bracket part with the holes - directly against the negative post of the battery, then with a short bit of wire connected to the positive terminal of the battery, momentarily connect the other end of that wire to each of the spade terminals in turn, it should then click on connecting to one or the other of them, the one it clicks on should receive the white-red wire, and the other one is for the white-blue wire -when connected in back in the car. It won't harm it by connecting the live to wrong spade terminal to test it, and if it doesn't click with either of them, then the solenoid is broken. It might only be stiff or internally corroded with disuse, pressing the rubber button in the middle also closes the heavy internal switch, so pushing that button a few times might free it off, test as above, otherwise there's no option but to replace it with a working one. The fact that it clicks, if it does, does not necessarily mean it is all working properly, but is a good sign.
thomas
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby viva les vegas » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:54 am

A little extra on the rubber button: not all solenoids have them, mine doesn't.
Remember, some days you're the statue, and others, you're the pigeon ;)
Life is a journey, not a destination.

used to be HB259
viva les vegas
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby rolo7011 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:48 am

oke thanks thomas,

I will be test it
rolo7011
SL Viva
SL Viva