Sparky starter

Tips and help requests for your cars electrics. Post your tips help other sort problems out.

Sparky starter

Postby AccieMad » Thu May 24, 2012 6:54 pm

Whilst the car was at the garage for MoT the starter apparently sparked and flamed.

I took the spare in and when fitted away it went.

With the old starter taken apart (it wouldn't spin up at all) the brushes are ok as are the bearings and the commutater looks ok to my eyes. Clean and shiny. Apart from that I am unsure how to check further. The inside is covered in copper dust which I have cleaned out but stll nothing. There is no continuity between positive terminal and case, so not a direct short from there. Field wires gubbed?

Can you get any spares apart from brushes?

I'm sure I can pick up a spare at some point but I'd like to fix it if I can.

Cheers
HB 157
AccieMad
GT Viva
GT Viva

Re: Sparky starter

Postby vivaha » Fri May 25, 2012 10:52 pm

Hi

As it happens, in conjunction with the spares co-ordinator I am kicking of a starter motor/alternator/dynamo reconditioning scheme for viva club members, full details should be in the next edition of the club magazine due out very soon. I can get all parts for your starter or you could send it to me and I will repair it for you or alternatively I have a recon unit on the shelf.

Please let me know if I can be of help.

Tim (regalia rep)
Vauxhall viva HA 1966
Mercedes 190 1989
MGF 1996
Bedford Astramax 1991
Vauxhall Nova 1989
Alfa Romeo 146 1995
vivaha
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby pbottomley » Sat May 26, 2012 9:02 am

OHH Tim that's good news... Glad to see more folks getting involved in recon parts :D It now appears all the old starters and dynamos and alternators I keep finding can have a new home :)
pbottomley

Postby dann01 » Sat May 26, 2012 12:48 pm

Don't throw nothin away if you can help it... One day it will serve a purpose.

And that's why my garage is full of... Stuff. :oops:

I have an old starter or two that could go for refurb.
Dan
Sometimes, I wonder why I bother, and then for one fleeting moment things will go right for a change.
dann01
Club Treasurer

Postby Paul Dawson » Sat May 26, 2012 4:40 pm

Good news. Mine sort of has a mind of it's own. I have a spare (untested as yet) and was hoping there was some way of getting the original refurbished.
Paul Dawson
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby vivaha » Sat May 26, 2012 7:17 pm

Hi guys

Like I say full details are in the mag. If anybody has a unit they want reconditioned, they are welcome to bring it to Billing and I will return it by courier or have any old units they are fed up with falling over and would like to put into the recon program, come and find me at the club stand probably near the cake somewhere and we can have a chat.

Cheers Tim
Vauxhall viva HA 1966
Mercedes 190 1989
MGF 1996
Bedford Astramax 1991
Vauxhall Nova 1989
Alfa Romeo 146 1995
vivaha
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby AccieMad » Sun May 27, 2012 4:15 pm

Cheers Tim,

I'd like to have a crack at this myself assuming there is nothing too mad involved.

I'll bring the unit up and have a chat at billing.It should then be clearer what I need to get it going.

Best wishes

GT
HB 157
AccieMad
GT Viva
GT Viva

Return to Electrical help