Fitting reverse light switch

Tips and help requests for your cars electrics. Post your tips help other sort problems out.

Fitting reverse light switch

Postby 74vivasl » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:04 pm

Hi all, i'd like to fit a reverse light to my HC estate as I keep nearly running people over as I back off my drive! The problem is the cap at the back of the gearbox where the switch fits into is blank, I've looked in the haynes manual and can see the approximate position of where the hole for the switch should be, but I don't want to take the risk of taking the cap off and drilling a hole in it myself as I may get it in the wrong place! Does anybody have the cap off the back of a 1256 gearbox knocking about with the hole in it for the reverse light switch? I've found the switch itself on ebay and I have the lamp ready to fit. I don't really want to go down the road of a manual reverse light switch as enevitably it would end up left switched on whilst driving. :thanx: Rob
FASTBACK!
74vivasl
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: Fitting reverse light switch

Postby oli8925 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:22 pm

Contact ADRIAN, he used to have them for sale, I guess he still does.
1989 Blue Mini 1000 Rebuild
1975 White De Luxe Viva HC
1994 Saab 9000 CSE
2002 F*rd Puma Thunder
oli8925
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby House » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:48 pm

I gave a few to the club in a pile of bits once. Can you not take the cap off and stick some clay/bluetack to it, put it back on then put it in reverse. Take the cap back off and there should be an imprint where you want to drill.
House
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby dann01 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:27 am

House wrote:I gave a few to the club in a pile of bits once. Can you not take the cap off and stick some clay/bluetack to it, put it back on then put it in reverse. Take the cap back off and there should be an imprint where you want to drill.

Yes you did... They are still sat under a cover in my back yard with a ton of other stuff waiting for Paul C to make room for it all.

Dan
Sometimes, I wonder why I bother, and then for one fleeting moment things will go right for a change.
dann01
Club Treasurer

Postby 74vivasl » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:00 pm

House wrote:I gave a few to the club in a pile of bits once. Can you not take the cap off and stick some clay/bluetack to it, put it back on then put it in reverse. Take the cap back off and there should be an imprint where you want to drill.

Good idea! i'll give that a try. :thanx:
FASTBACK!
74vivasl
SL Viva
SL Viva

Return to Electrical help