7 dial dash - clock problems

Tips and help requests for your cars electrics. Post your tips help other sort problems out.

7 dial dash - clock problems

Postby box of bits » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:39 pm

Anybody got some ideas for me please

1) the time clock is goosed- anybody recommend a replacement - or have converted it

2) the rev counter does not work - any ideas where I start to fettle it?
box of bits
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: 7 dial dash - clock problems

Postby ken707 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:04 am

The early clock is mechanical but wound up by a solenoid. Normally it just needs cleaned by a jeweller if such a trade still exists. I got 2 cleaned years ago and still going well.

I've also found several where the solenoid doesn't work but the fault was always the same, a broken wire which was repairable. It's difficult to explain, you need to release the 'wind up spring' then connect up to 12v. If the solenoid makes a loud click then it's ok, just try to get the mechanism cleaned if it looks ok.

I've often thought of providing a repair service but the clock expert I used has retired and never got around to finding someone else. I must make a few enquiries again.

The later clock is electric, straight swop I think apart from the hole which you need to drill in the front bezel to adjust the time.

Rev counter, don't know. If you're in the DSG they had a few second hand 7 dial dashes.

Ken
ken707
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby box of bits » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:39 pm

Hi Ken

I have stripped the clock down (electric) cleaned it and the bugger still dont work !!!

Think it may be knackered . it is out of a 7 dial so this will be great fun --------I dont think
box of bits
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:21 pm

I've replaced the clock in my Firenza with one of those low-cost clock mechanisms. It used the same hands (it's one with the remote adjuster, not the button in the centre of the dial) and takes one AA battery, that seems to last around 18 months and it keeps very good time. The only thing that gives it away, other than the fact that it works, is that the only adjustment is by sticking your hand up the back of the dashboard. It's easy, though, once you get the knack.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby shamm » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:36 pm

Will be offering recon service for 7 dial units later in the year.
If you send me the clock and twist my arm then I will do you an early job!

Steve.
GDM
Steve Hammond

Two 2.3 Viva's, one 2.3 Viva Estate, one 2.3 Magnum estate, half share in a 1.6 Viva auto, and no time (HC183)
shamm
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Return to Electrical help