Fitting an Electronic Ignition

Tips and help requests for your cars electrics. Post your tips help other sort problems out.

Fitting an Electronic Ignition

Postby HC » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:49 pm

As the title says, I decided to fit an Electronic Ignition to my 1256cc HC Estate. I looked on ebay as there are several listing by accuspark ignition.
Had anyone fitted one of these?
Do I have to make any more replacements/upgrades such as rotor arm or coil, or with the standard coil / rotor arm will work fine.
Any suggestion please !!!!
:thanx:
HC

Re: Fitting an Electronic Ignition

Postby Mike Robinson » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:32 pm

HC wrote:As the title says, I decided to fit an Electronic Ignition to my 1256cc HC Estate. I looked on ebay as there are several listing by accuspark ignition.
Had anyone fitted one of these?
Do I have to make any more replacements/upgrades such as rotor arm or coil, or with the standard coil / rotor arm will work fine.
Any suggestion please !!!!
:thanx:

There is plenty of information on the Forum on the Accuspark system. I have just fitted it on my 1256 HC and it works well . This evening it was starting and running a cold engine without choke with the temperature around 6 degrees so it fires a pretty weak mixture. I guess that cold starts are not a problem in Malta though!

Mine has the ballast coil system. I did change the coil for an Accuspark one but only because my old one was a bit suspect. You reuse the original rotor arm.

I had one problem related to the ballast /coil arrangement. You need a 12 volt supply for the 'trigger' of the Accuspark. I took a supply from pin D5 on the fuse/connection box which should work but doesn't - maybe a problem with my ignition switch. If you dont have a ballast /coil it is simpler.

The Accuspark web site has useful information and I suggest its better to buy directly from them

Mike
Mike Robinson
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby pbottomley » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:05 am

Chris , I agree 100% with above... its a simple fitment with two wires. In my case one to each side of the coil and bingo it works..
pbottomley

Postby HC » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:26 pm

Thanks for your replies.
I have never converted to an Electronic Ignition system. I do not have a ballast on my coil. So just only fit those two wires to my coil.
Thanks
HC

Return to Electrical help