Fuse keeps blowing...

Tips and help requests for your cars electrics. Post your tips help other sort problems out.

Fuse keeps blowing...

Postby hca » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:10 pm

Hey all.
Having a problem with my no.3 fuse (windscreen wiper circuit). Basically it keeps blowing. Only started happening recently. Last April I fitted a stereo and a cigarette lighter to the ignition, but the problem has only started happening in the last month or so, so I don't think that's the cause. Any suggestions what to look for?
Thanks in advance.
h.
hca
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: Fuse keeps blowing...

Postby bluemoontezza » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:54 pm

If it dont blow straight away its possibly a part of the loom thats shorting when your driving and it moves.
The way i used to check for this was to make up a test light(12v)disconnect fuse 3 and connect light to fuse way in place of the fuse.
If the lights off there is no short to earth,if lights on there is a short to earth---just carefully move looms etc to find where the problem is.
Tip:make the loom to the test light(2 meters)so you can take it with you around the car.
Fuse No 3
Wipers/Washers
Radio
Cigar lighter
Spose you could also disconnect above units one at a time
Hope the above helps
Terry :goodluck:
1972 Viva 2300 SL 2 Door HC669
1972 Viva 2300 SL 4 Door
These cars can Torque!
bluemoontezza
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby shamm » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:57 pm

Check the wires around the heater controls.
Had mine come loose once and the heater controls sliced into the wires and shorted them out.
Steve Hammond

Two 2.3 Viva's, one 2.3 Viva Estate, one 2.3 Magnum estate, half share in a 1.6 Viva auto, and no time (HC183)
shamm
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby hca » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:23 pm

Wise words indeed. Turning the heater up to full blast blows the fuse every time. Looks like I just need to get behind there with some electrical tape! I don't have the tools to test the circuits unfortunately, but it looks like we've got to the bottom of things. Thanks for your help guys.
hca
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby Jeremy Oxton » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:52 pm

If you are using original 35A fuses, the wires must have had hard times. They often tend to burn before the fuse does. I'm using 20-25A fuses with no problems. Definitely some sort of shortcut in there.
Jeremy Oxton
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Return to Electrical help