HC 1256 GLS 1978 Indicator stalk

Tips and help requests for your cars electrics. Post your tips help other sort problems out.

HC 1256 GLS 1978 Indicator stalk

Postby wyke » Wed May 08, 2013 8:11 pm

Kind club member has sent me a used replacement. Can anyone advise best way to start. Mine indicates if I hold in position but if I push it all of the way it stops clicking.
Can anyone advise. I did buy some elctrical cleaner and squirted some in but no joy. It looks like I have to remove steering wheel?
wyke
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: HC 1256 GLS 1978 Indicator stalk

Postby dann01 » Thu May 09, 2013 7:38 am

The contatcs in the indicator stalks are brass and flat and sit on edge, and over time a groove wears into the sprung live contact making the connection unreliable. No amount of lubricant will solve this. It is curable with extreme care by taking the switching apart to file the live contact edge, but springs tend to fly hither and tither, and if not replaced correctly the stalk is rendered U/S... Much easier to replace the stalk unit altogether.

So, wheel off. Column cowlings off, and replacing is easy enough.

Dan
Sometimes, I wonder why I bother, and then for one fleeting moment things will go right for a change.
dann01
Club Treasurer

Re: HC 1256 GLS 1978 Indicator stalk

Postby Greytop47 » Fri May 10, 2013 12:37 pm

I have just replaced my stalk on an HB , so if HC has same basic design try below .

Yes wheel off to get to stalk but if you are very careful you can bend the flat brass contacts a little so they will press onto the brass posts.
Greytop47
SL Viva
SL Viva

Return to Electrical help