Condensor question

Tips and help requests for your cars electrics. Post your tips help other sort problems out.

Condensor question

Postby AccieMad » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:18 pm

For some reason I've got through four condensors in the last 2 thousand miles. Can anything cause this except rubbish condensors? The ones I can currenly get are intermotor. Can't find any other brand.

For whatever reason (and I've heard several) the car is fitted with a ducellier distributer. Not sure if these are late HC/chevette/Astra or whatever but I guess it is irrelevant anyway. Just seems odd and inconvienent when the thing just dies in rush hour traffic as it did last week...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ducellier-4-C ... 1284wt_932
HB 157
AccieMad
GT Viva
GT Viva

Re: Condensor question

Postby firenza2000sl » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:58 pm

These may seem like a dumb questions, but how did you discover the replacement distributor condensors/capacitors had failed? What were the symptoms of failure? eg was it only sudden and complete ignition failure, as your post suggests? Any other symptoms or precursors of failure? And did you test the capacitors to see if they could hold a charge? Had they become closed-circuit? Any signs of physical damage? How long after fitting them did they last before they failed? Did you contact the supplier, and did they respond?
firenza2000sl
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby bluemoontezza » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:43 pm

Just a tip here,i was a rac patrol for 29 years,in the "old days"i made a tempory condenser up for test purpose.
Crocadile clip on fixing hole and crocadile clip on wire.
This was connected to any earth and LT side of coil(white/black tracer wire).
This can be mounted outside the distrubutor.
Have even used the "radio suspressor"on coil and changed it from + side to - side of coil to get someone out of trouble.
Terry :wink:
PS is the base plate well earthed???
1972 Viva 2300 SL 2 Door HC669
1972 Viva 2300 SL 4 Door
These cars can Torque!
bluemoontezza
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby AccieMad » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:18 pm

Sorry, been away for a while.

Fault was (is) intermittent rough running even occasional cutting out. You know something is wrong it it may be ok for a good while but difficult to start and you just play about with connections and such like (as you don't know the thing is going). Then, total ignition failure at some random point in the future and you are stuck. Might start briefly and then just stop if you try to pull away.

I did positively check the condensor by renewing (starts fine) and swapping back (dead). Didn't test with AVO. Baseplate is earthed. Intermotor part, didn't talk to them about it. I now have a spare in the car (and rotor and cap). No damage, burning etc. on condensor (points obviously). The part looks new (as it almost is...).

You are right that *anything* will do in an emergency which is worth bearing in mind.

Just seemed odd to have a number go. I'll see how it goes and then just go electronic if it keeps happening.
HB 157
AccieMad
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby hbpeter » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:45 pm

Try replacing the LT wire from the coil to the dizzy. These are well known to break inside the insulation, what you describe sounds like the wire intermittantly making conntact and then moving with the engine and conntact being lost.

Peter
Reading between the lines, dangerous if your waiting for a train.
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby AccieMad » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:39 pm

Thanks Peter,

I'll swap it out. Looks to have been there a while.
HB 157
AccieMad
GT Viva
GT Viva

Return to Electrical help