BEAGLE FUEL GAUGE - HELP !!!!!!!

Tips and help requests for your cars electrics. Post your tips help other sort problems out.

BEAGLE FUEL GAUGE - HELP !!!!!!!

Postby logsplitterman » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:30 pm

Whilst restoring the Beagle i would just put about half a gallon of petrol in the tank to move the car around and the gauge behaved itself. To set off for its MOT i poured 4 gallons in the tank but when i switch on the ignition the needle moves to beyond full and stays there. When i switch off again the needle sometimes sticks in the beyond full position untill a tap on the glass returns it to the ignition off position. I am useless at car electrics does anyone know where the fault may be? Insidentaly she passed the MOT :D :D :D :D :imsmiling:
Cheers,
Alan.
logsplitterman
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: BEAGLE FUEL GAUGE - HELP !!!!!!!

Postby fistfullofV5's » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:33 pm

Have you removed the tank sender for a little look? The sender on my Firenza had a seized float arm and had to be soaked in penetrating oil for a few days then gently worked to and fro till it freed up. Other possibility is that you have a short in the wire between the gauge and the sender. The gauge needle sticking will likely be it moving beyond it's normal range and needing a little help to return.
Good luck, Dave.
fistfullofV5's
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby hbpeter » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:26 pm

Take the sender wire off the sender unit in the tank, put it to earth, switch on ign, gauge should read full. If it dosent fault in wirring or sender unit. Possible if you have only had a bit of fuel in the tank and then put a lot more in the sender arm is sticking, possible as you use the car and fill up and empty tank it will free itself off.

Peter
Reading between the lines, dangerous if your waiting for a train.
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby niftynevins » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:01 pm

As Peter and Logsplitterman have said that is the way forward first if that all checks out okay you can do what I have done.
I have found all HA's do this at some point and it is caused by a bad earth.
It is designed to earth through the bolts mounting the tank but all the water etc. splashing on them creates the problem and or fresh restoration and perfect paint.
On my cars I have made an extra earth wire from one of the screws on the sender and run it to below the tail light, not sure if there is a nut on the beagle because the HA saloon has a nut that holds on the wing capping on. If not run it to a nice dry earth and it should function perfectly.

Cheers
Andrew
64 HA Viva Brabham GT restoration project
64 HA Viva Deluxe Adelaide assembled restored
64 HA Viva standard Adelaide assembled restored

37 Vauxhall 25HP GY Sloper restoration project
53 Vauxhall Velox Ute original
71 Vauxhall FD Ventora 2 restored
niftynevins
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby logsplitterman » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:34 pm

Thanks everyone for your kind advice i shall get around to looking at it over the next few days and let you know how i get on.
Cheers,
Alan
logsplitterman
SL Viva
SL Viva

Return to Electrical help