Corroded fuse box - HC

Tips and help requests for your cars electrics. Post your tips help other sort problems out.

Corroded fuse box - HC

Postby 1972nail » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:41 am

I've just refurbished the fuse box for my Firenza. The terminals were seriously corroded after being in storage for many years and unlikely to make a reliable connection when installed.

So I dipped it in a strong solution of citric acid and here is the result.

Nice and shiney and clean. There is no need to dismantle it either as the acid floods the whole box and cleans it thoroughly. This process only took about 5 minutes so is a great service item for a Saturday morning.

I'll also dip the ends of the wiring looms when I get those looked out. There is no need to dismantle them either so it's an easy job too.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Re: Corroded fuse box - HC

Postby 1972nail » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:39 pm

The acid is the same one that is in lemon juice and Coke so no real danger to any plastics and a quick rinse is all that is needed. This acid is not very harmful even in a strong solution. A tablespoon of crystals to a pint of warm water is enough.

You could use cheap cola to do the same job and leave it a couple of days!!

Yes, of course, dry it thoroughly and WD 40 it. The terminals are brass so won't rust, just go green a little.

You can get citric acid crystals from a home brew shop or a good supermarket selling baking materials.

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby Dave1300GLS » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:18 am

Just as a add precaution after fixing my HC I thought I to would acid dip my fusebox. Although not exactly dirty it has made an improvement and should fend off any bad connections in that area at least. Many thanx Dave
1971 Vauxhall Viva HC SL was 1159cc now 1256cc
2003 Mercedes E320 AMG
Dave1300GLS
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby 1972nail » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:40 pm

Dip the loom connectors as well, just to be sure. :goodideasign:

Don't forget to spray with WD 40 to give long term protection.

1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Return to Electrical help