HC SL Total engine bay power loss

Tips and help requests for your cars electrics. Post your tips help other sort problems out.

HC SL Total engine bay power loss

Postby Dave1300GLS » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:17 pm

Hi folks my modern day BMW is off the road awaiting an ignition switch. So I drafted my HC into service only to be met with a very similar fault. Here goes sometimes you turn the key and nothing at all happens under the bonnet, yet we have accesory power and dash lights etc. Then turn the key and all is well the only difference to my BMW is the viva will cut out at random when being driven, with total engine bay power loss no starter no nothing. Could it be the ignition switch or the fuse box? I am taking it as read it will be a major powered item to kill all the engine bay? I have checked battery leads, earth straps etc. But the power loss is confined to the engine area and no where else, has anyone seen this type of fault before? I really need one of my cars up and running for the weekend any help please !!!
Kind Regards
Dave
1971 Vauxhall Viva HC SL was 1159cc now 1256cc
2003 Mercedes E320 AMG
Dave1300GLS
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: HC SL Total engine bay power loss

Postby laidback » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:10 pm

Try checking the solenoid connections, had this with my HC SL three weeks ago. The white and red wire connection, male tab broke away as it enters the main body of the solenoid. hope this helps.
Note .I must re join the club!
So" laid back" I'm horizontal.
laidback
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby Dave1300GLS » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:26 pm

Thanks landmark I will add that to my checklist tomorrow.
Dave
2003 Mercedes E320 AMG
Dave1300GLS
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby pbottomley » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:33 pm

Suspect you need to adjust the sausage angle slightly.

Cryptic yes if your not on faceache.
pbottomley

Postby pbottomley » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:35 pm

Ps is battery holding charge? E.g it's got volts but no amps so your neons will work but no cranking power for starter?
pbottomley

Postby Dave1300GLS » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:01 pm

Hi Paul the battery is new and stays on trickle charge when not in use. Besides on minute there is no power at all then power then back again, something is either loose or broke.
2003 Mercedes E320 AMG
Dave1300GLS
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby bedfordbad » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:43 pm

I think I would start with ign switch!! Take the steering wheel switch cover off carefully so as not to disturb the soldered wires... Then look carefully to look for loose/ frayed wires on back of switch!!
Good luck
Steve
BEDFORD HAE AAB412H
BEDFORD HA ROMA UJJ742F
BEDFORD HA 130 TNN514R
VARIOUS HA VANS AND ROMA`S FOR SPARES.
bedfordbad
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Dave1300GLS » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:50 pm

Think it might be sorted? Started work on the HC today taking all the wires off the soloniod and checking them and cleaning them... no faults found! Then the same with the fuse box and the ignition switch, giving them a good shaking whilst the engine was running to see if there was a bad contact...none found. But when I was putting the soloniod wiring back in place I noticed one of the wires runs from the soloniod to the fusable link on the side of the battery stand and it was loose!! So with the engine running I slid the wire off and hey presto the engine stops with no power at all including no starter power, but the accessories and lights are un-affected. It is kind of a big fuse to protect the engine bay wiring from frying, so come to a close I cleaned the 2x fusable link prongs and closed the spade connector end with some pliers to make them a snug fit and then a 10 mile road test over bumpy country lanes and all seems well!!! So if anyone else is suffering the same problem please pass this one around and many thanks folks for your help :wink:

Kind Regards

Dave
2003 Mercedes E320 AMG
Dave1300GLS
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:15 pm

Always nice to actually find something, and always nice when a poster comes back and posts the solution. I had a similar issue on my Sportshatch, which I think was down to loose connections in the dash loom where it connects underneath the bulkhead connector. My solution was to sell it to its previous owner who exported it to Australia, but yours is probably better.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby 1972nail » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:45 pm

Always good to hear a successful outcome. If you have dirty connections have a look at my citric acid trick, especially for the multiple connections in the fuse box.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Next

Return to Electrical help