alternator swap help !!!!!!!!

Tips and help requests for your cars electrics. Post your tips help other sort problems out.

alternator swap help !!!!!!!!

Postby bedfordbad » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:02 am

Hi, My 77 viva van has had a delco Remy dn460 alternator fitted from new but although still working I noticed play on bearings so I thought I'd replace it with the more common Lucas 18acr unit, trouble is the delco has 5 wires going to it and the Lucas ones on my other vans have only 3!!!!!
The Haynes doesn't shed any light on the extra wires (which all disappear in loom)
Any idea what the extra wires do? And how to convert to the 18acr?
Cheers Steve
BEDFORD HAE AAB412H
BEDFORD HA ROMA UJJ742F
BEDFORD HA 130 TNN514R
VARIOUS HA VANS AND ROMA`S FOR SPARES.
bedfordbad
GT Viva
GT Viva

Re: alternator swap help !!!!!!!!

Postby StefanM » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:37 am

I think if you open up the loom a bit you will find that the fifth cable is just a loop between some terminals. Just remove it.
The delco unit might have a voltage sense cable on some models however. You will need to investigate which cable that goes to the warning light. Probably marked IND on the Delco unit. This one is the only one used in the Lucas unit.

Be aware though !! The Delco unit has one negative and one positive connection in the plug. Most Lucas units bought on the aftermarket has two positive connections. The Lucas unit will be destroyed if you just use the cables as they are.
StefanM
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby bedfordbad » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:17 am

Thanks for your reply Stefan,
Why have 5 wires when Lucas have proved 3 will do????
I've actually managed to buy a new delco Remy at a reasonable price so I won't have to mess with wiring after all!!!!
And should be reliable for a few years yet!!
Thanks again, steven
BEDFORD HAE AAB412H
BEDFORD HA ROMA UJJ742F
BEDFORD HA 130 TNN514R
VARIOUS HA VANS AND ROMA`S FOR SPARES.
bedfordbad
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby StefanM » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:35 am

The delco alternator came in many versions and some had sense cables and some did not and I guess that some looms were made so they should work with any alternator whatever delco supplied.
StefanM
GT Viva
GT Viva

Return to Electrical help