Alternator replacement - 35A to 55A

Tips and help requests for your cars electrics. Post your tips help other sort problems out.

Alternator replacement - 35A to 55A

Postby jgwilliamson » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:36 am

The alternator on my 1977 1300 GLS looks to be finally giving up the ghost so I'm on the look-out for a replacement. There seems to be plenty out there but quite a lot are 55A rather than the 35A which is currently fitted.

Is it OK to fit a new 55A alternator or is there other things I should watch out for or need replacing if I do that?

Many thanks

John
jgwilliamson
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: Alternator replacement - 35A to 55A

Postby viva les vegas » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:07 pm

I would have thought so. I can't remember for certain, but I think I replaced mine with either a 55A or 60A when all the connectors broke inside my 35A original. I know it was higher, and all I could find at the time. But I'll let someone else confirm rather than my ramblings.
Remember, some days you're the statue, and others, you're the pigeon ;)
Life is a journey, not a destination.

used to be HB259
viva les vegas
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby jgwilliamson » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:28 pm

viva les vegas wrote:I would have thought so. I can't remember for certain, but I think I replaced mine with either a 55A or 60A when all the connectors broke inside my 35A original. I know it was higher, and all I could find at the time. But I'll let someone else confirm rather than my ramblings.

Thanks for the info "vlv"...as a matter of interest, how long ago did you swap your alternator, and have you had any electrical problems since then?

Cheers

JOhn
jgwilliamson
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby viva les vegas » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:29 pm

Think it was 4 1/2 years ago, and apart from a slight glow from the ignition light with everything on and only on tickover, I don't recall any electrical probs. but she's been off the road a while now as I'm shoehorning a V8 into it
Remember, some days you're the statue, and others, you're the pigeon ;)
Life is a journey, not a destination.

used to be HB259
viva les vegas
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Return to Electrical help