battery in boot?

Tips and help requests for your cars electrics. Post your tips help other sort problems out.

battery in boot?

Postby matt129 » Sat May 10, 2014 6:11 pm

I am considering moving the battery to the boot, more so i can fit a nice heavy duty one in for cold starting and space is limited under the hood!

Reading through the posts i can see a few of you have done this. Just a couple of quick questions.

Where did you relocate the starter solenoid? Is it best to keep it in the engine bay or next to the battery?

Also the little wire that goes from the solenoid to a plastic terminal and back ( currently located on the battery try.7 Where does this go? (The bit at the bottom right of the picture)

Thanks for any advice :)
matt129
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Re: battery in boot?

Postby fouronthefloor » Sat May 10, 2014 6:37 pm

What are you trying to start?

If it's your pushrod HC I would look at what's causing the problem i.e. existing battery, ignition,wiring, earth continuity & fuel system before considering anything so drastic.

Battery technology has come a long way in a short space of time & a premium standard battery or even a gel job will have no problem starting a well-fettled Viva.

I would only consider moving the battery to the boot as a last resort & then only really for weight distribution reasons. Don't forget it would need a long run of very high quality (& expensive) cabling to avoid voltage drop.

Oliver
fouronthefloor
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: battery in boot?

Postby 1972nail » Sat May 10, 2014 11:52 pm

The short length of wire is the 'fusible link' It protects your whole electrical system from over current and should be left well alone! The wire connected to the other end of the plastic connector is the main electrical feed to the fuse box.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Return to Electrical help