HB/ HC Halogen conversion.

Tips and help requests for your cars electrics. Post your tips help other sort problems out.

HB/ HC Halogen conversion.

Postby BigWallace » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:17 pm

Hi everyone! Got a pair of nos Lucas plastic bodied headlamps & now have to find the appropriate back plate & adjusters, as the original Cibie ones are different! I have converted the new lamps to take conventional H4 lamps as opposed to conversion bulbs- this allows the fitment of much brighter (but still 55/ 60W) Osram Night Breakers. The H4 inserts were taken from a scrap 1996- 2000 EK2 Honda Civic. They are held into the Honda's headlamps with two torx screws, so are easily removed. Along with these, I found some early Range Rover rubber grommets & a pair of Mk6 Fiesta sidelight bulb holders- much easier bulbs to find at the local car accessories outlets. The Honda units will fit the steel bodied Cibie lamp units too & can be held in place with three small tack welds without damaging the chrome plating. As my new lamps are plastic, they're going to be glued in place with heat & water resistant glue. Here are the photos showing how to do it. Hope this is of practical help!

Leigh.

BigWallace
GT Viva
GT Viva

Re: HB/ HC Halogen conversion.

Postby BigWallace » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:24 pm

BigWallace
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby BigWallace » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:31 pm

BigWallace
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby BigWallace » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:36 pm

BigWallace
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby BigWallace » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:43 pm

I think that doing a conversion this way is much safer, rather than the wire melting 90/140W conversion bulbs that are doing the rounds.

Leigh.
Attachments
BigWallace
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Mjones » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:58 pm

An excellent conversion. I did a very similar undertaking on my HC Estate but using rather expensive bespoke inserts to accomodate the halogen bulbs. I also included relays in the lighting circuit. The end result is far more efficient illumination, just for thing for my 4am journeys to work. :D
1972 HC Estate The White Knight
1974 HC S74 Arthur Dent
Mjones
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby BigWallace » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:45 pm

The Honda inserts were found purely by chance! Yes, it will make a huge difference... I remember clearly, that night driving in my Chevette at night was a total nightmare!!

Cheers,

Leigh.
BigWallace
GT Viva
GT Viva

Return to Electrical help