Which alternator?

Tips and help requests for your cars electrics. Post your tips help other sort problems out.

Which alternator?

Postby 74vivasl » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:01 pm

Hi everyone, I think the alternator on my 1256 ''74 HC SL is on its way out so I'm looking to replace it, however there are two plugs going to the alternator, a black one with a single thick brown wire and a white one with three brown/yellow wires. I've been told a classic mini one will fit but that along with all the other alternators I've looked at on eBay only have the one connection on them. Could anyone help me out on this? :thanx:
FASTBACK!
74vivasl
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: Which alternator?

Postby bluemoontezza » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:41 pm

When saying a mini alternator its more than likley a lucus unit(17 ACR -34 amp or 18 ACR-45 amp).
The back of delco unit(viva)as you say has two plugs--you will have to chop loom,the thick cable goes to the large terminal of lucus unit,and the "IND"wire goes to the small terminal of the lucus unit.
Hope this helps,Pm me with your mobil if you need more help.
Terry :goodluck:
Ps if your alternator is packing up its normally really stinks after running(hot smell)/would have had to be jump started and the ignition light glows slightly.
1972 Viva 2300 SL 2 Door HC669
1972 Viva 2300 SL 4 Door
These cars can Torque!
bluemoontezza
GT Viva
GT Viva

Re: Which alternator?

Postby 74vivasl » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:28 pm

bluemoontezza wrote:When saying a mini alternator its more than likley a lucus unit(17 ACR -34 amp or 18 ACR-45 amp).
The back of delco unit(viva)as you say has two plugs--you will have to chop loom,the thick cable goes to the large terminal of lucus unit,and the "IND"wire goes to the small terminal of the lucus unit.
Hope this helps,Pm me with your mobil if you need more help.
Terry :goodluck:
Ps if your alternator is packing up its normally really stinks after running(hot smell)/would have had to be jump started and the ignition light glows slightly.

Hi Terry, bought a new Lucas ACR unit this morning from Minspares in Oldbury, it was just a case of prising the connectors out of the connector block and pushing them into the new unit. All connected now and working fine. I could tell the old one had gone as there was no slight drop in engine speed at idle when you switch the headlights on etc.
Thanks for the help and info, Rob
FASTBACK!
74vivasl
SL Viva
SL Viva

Return to Electrical help