Dynamator alternator look alike.

Tips and help requests for your cars electrics. Post your tips help other sort problems out.

Dynamator alternator look alike.

Postby ADRIAN » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:44 pm

After yet another Dynamo failure, I am considering changing to an alternator, but to retain the original period look under the bonnet, I thought that I might go for one of the Stealth Dynamator's 45amp. But when it comes to fitting this, the wiring up, the old RB340 regulator and its wiring to it has to be discarded, which I am not really wanting to do. Has anyone else fitted one of these "alternators inside a dynamo casing" to their car, and any ideas how I can wire it up? My thoughts, is that if I can fit a sort of "dummy" RB340 regular box (nothing inside it) and keep it on the inner wing and somehow fitting blank offs to the wiring terminals, inside the RB340 box. This is because I dont want to cut the spade terminals off the original Viva HB loom. By cutting off these wires to the regulator box, this will not only be tatty and not original looking, but if I ever decide to swap it all back to dynamo again in the future, the wiring would still be there intact. That way I always have the option of reverting back to a dynamo at any time and just fitting a working RB340 in place of the "dummy" . Anyone clever with electrical ideas?
Adrian
HB 1
ADRIAN
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Re: Dynamator alternator look alike.

Postby rizzo » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:15 pm

That sounds like a good idea Adrian, the alt should only need the power and warning light wires which could quite easily be joined somewhere in the loom leaving the old wiring still fitted but not attached in an empty reg box.

Bill
HB 1159 1968 10K White
HB 4000 1968 Green
rizzo
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Johnboy HB » Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:16 pm

Should be quite easy to do, on my 67 HB the dynamo and regulator has its own separate wiring loom, running through the battery tray, joining at the solenoid with a ring terminal and to the main loom with a bullet connector, I imagine the bullet connector would be to the warning light, & the charge from the dynamo goes to the connection on the solenoid, i'll check on my HB tomorrow just to make sure I've remembered right
Johnboy HB
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Johnboy HB » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:01 pm

Heres a pic of the regulator/dynamo loom
as I thought, the wire with the bullet connector goes to the warning light, brown/yellow, & the thick brown wire goes to the solenoid on the same terminal as the positive battery lead, my way of keeping it looking factory would be to disconnect these wires & tuck them out of the way along with the two dynamo connections & run new wires off the dynamator to the solenoid & warning light connections
Johnboy HB
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby ADRIAN » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:31 pm

Thats Genius - would never have sussed that one out myself. I'm ordering a new Stealth Dynamator now. I've discovered that the Dynmator uses a 45 amp "chinese" made alternator part inside it, whilst the much more expensive "Dynalite" uses a top quality Nippon Denso 50 amp unit inside them. But at over £350 - compared to the £125 Dynamator version - I'm going for the cheaper option. Many thanks ADRIAN
HB 1
ADRIAN
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby StefanM » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:21 am

To be honest I think both of these have chinese parts inside them. There is plenty of manufacturers of NipponDenso copies as well so.....
StefanM
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Dormobile Roma » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:32 pm

Hi,

I have one of these on my Dormobile Roma. So far so good though I am a little concerned that it charges at 14.6 volts (measured across the battery terminals) which may shorten the battery life. Mine is the £125 version. Also do make sure all the connections are secure. If a dynamo connection falls off it stops charging. If an alternator connection falls of it may not charge again.

Martin
Dormobile Roma
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Return to Electrical help