What Coil for 1970 HB

Tips and help requests for your cars electrics. Post your tips help other sort problems out.

Re: What Coil for 1970 HB

Postby Dormobile Roma » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:04 pm

1970 was just about the time alternators were becoming common. There are at least 2 Lucas ACR models in common use at the time. From memory one was with a separate regulator or rectifier box and the other had, like all modern alternators, the electronics all built in. The first has several connecting wires and the latter has just the 2 the output (thick) and the ignition warning light wire (thin). Treat any wiring diagram from that period with care as the changes happened from week to week.

Generally cars with alternators didn't need the special ballasted coils as the alternator kept the battery fully charged.

If you have no spark then first check there is:-

(a) 12 volts at the coil, if so then,
(b) check that when the points are open there is a voltage across them (probably not much less than 12 volts).

If no (a) then put a temporary supply from the battery to the coil and see if that provides a spark. if no (b) then it is probably the points are earthed or the distributor to coil wire not connected properly. If it is a Bosch distributor then it is easy for the distributor to coil wire to get trapped and broken or earthed when the distributor is turned to adjust the timing.

Good luck,

Martin
Dormobile Roma
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Re: What Coil for 1970 HB

Postby Crystalvoyager » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:25 pm

Martin your a star, thank you for your advice.
I'll have to invest in a volt metre as I've only been using a screwdriver type circuit tester.
There such great little cars. The chap gave me the car as long as I promised not to break it. The front wings are too far gone and the sills and front inner wings are a bit crumbly but I think the only other place that needs attention is the front corner of the d/s floorwell.
Thanks again for your help
Steve
Crystalvoyager
SL Viva
SL Viva

Previous

Return to Electrical help