battery terminal clamps

Tips and help requests for your cars electrics. Post your tips help other sort problems out.

battery terminal clamps

Postby fistfullofV5's » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:52 pm

Hi, my Firenza has the old type of battery clamps which fit like a cap and are held in place by a self tapper into the battery posts. I'm thinking of changing these for a more conventional clamp to avoid having to drill holes in the top of the battery posts for the fixing screws and to have a firmer and likely more reliable connection. If anyone else has done this, did you change the clamp part only or did you change the whole cable assembly ?
Regards,Dave.
fistfullofV5's
GT Viva
GT Viva

Re: battery terminal clamps

Postby chrisdunham » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:08 pm

Hi Dave

I changed mine to the ring clamp style, you can change just the clamp head, but I ended up renewing the earth cable and also the positive cable going down to the starter solenoid, got all the bits from Halfords one Sunday afternoon and used trade card, think it was less than £12 for the lot!

One thing I did notice was the increased cranking speed afterwards, I am sure the old terminal caps or possibly the earth strap were arcing out causing a voltage loss. Never had an issue since!
1967 HB Viva SL - Pampas Green
chrisdunham
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby fistfullofV5's » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:41 pm

Hi Chris, I've had the same thoughts about the caps not giving a good enough connection and you've helped me decide to replace the cables which is probably wise given that they're 40 odd years old. Cheers.
Regards, Dave
fistfullofV5's
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby hbpeter » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:58 pm

Clamp type much better, change cables as well, not expensive and makes a difference.

Peter
Reading between the lines, dangerous if your waiting for a train.
hbpeter
Register Rep

Return to Electrical help