Damp weather

Tips and help requests for your cars electrics. Post your tips help other sort problems out.

Damp weather

Postby vauxhallbitz » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:43 pm

Now that the damp weather is with us I have noticed my Viva is difficult to start at the slightest hint of dampness and only runs properly when fully warmed up. I know this is a common fault on old cars and I am not a big fan of covering everything with WD 40, is there an alternative?

Has anyone tried the Spitfire HT leads from Sussex promotions, they are £25 per set and guaranteed for 40,000 miles? I think it is worth buying a good set as quite often they are the problem and older ones seem to suffer more than modern ones.
1958 CA Bedford Dormobile (Porthole)
1960 Vauxhall Cresta PA
1975 Vauxhall Viva E Coupe
vauxhallbitz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Re: Damp weather

Postby 1972nail » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:18 pm

I have a set of 'DIY' Accuspark leads on my car and I'm very pleased with them. Were a lot cheaper than £25.

I think I still have a set of blue OHC length ones never built up or fitted if anyone wants them PM me for as price. Can be cut to length to suit OHV cars.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby lord13 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:30 am

dampness shouldn't be a problem, how loose is your dizzy cap? try bending the spring clips a bit, and check the cap for deposits and tracking, they will hold moisture. Also, if everything is clean i.e. plugs etc it should start fine.
you don't have to cover everything in WD40, just a little inside the cap should do it.

And failing that, chuck an old coat over the engine when you are at home, it should keep the warmth in a little and aid cold starting in the morning. Remember to take the coat off first tho before you try to start it :)
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:50 am

vauxhallbitz wrote:Has anyone tried the Spitfire HT leads from Sussex promotions, they are £25 per set and guaranteed for 40,000 miles? I think it is worth buying a good set as quite often they are the problem and older ones seem to suffer more than modern ones.

Those sound like the ones I bought for my Firenza in 2013. They were made to my measurements at a show, and I seem to recall I was having some running problems, swapped loads of stuff then realised the plug leads were good ones (NGK blue ones) but had been on the car since 1998, and weren't new then. They did seem to make a difference, but I don't run mine in the winter.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby vauxhallbitz » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:56 pm

Thanks guys, the distributor cap is tight and seems fine, my car is fitted with a Ford Fiesta distributor which provides electronic ignition, this was done prior to me buying the car.

Once it is warmed up (5 minutes max) it runs fine so I think it could be the leads, as I use it until the salt is put on the roads (December 9th last year) I think it would be wise to invest in a quality set.

I will let you know how it goes.
1960 Vauxhall Cresta PA
vauxhallbitz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby 1972nail » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:20 pm

Fiesta distributor? That's a new one on me. :?:
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby chrismc » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:39 am

chrismc
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby vauxhallbitz » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:07 pm

Yes this was fitted to my car before I bought it, has over 12,000 miles with me and the only problem was when the home made dog leg came adrift causing the timing to go way out but it was easily fixed and has been trouble free since.
1960 Vauxhall Cresta PA
vauxhallbitz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Return to Electrical help