6 volt or 12 volt coil?

Tips and help requests for your cars electrics. Post your tips help other sort problems out.

Re: 6 volt or 12 volt coil?

Postby vauxhallbitz » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:16 pm

Wow!! What have I started....

I think I understand now, the resistance wire is not the white wire as I thought so there is no need to run another supply to the coil.

I will let you know how it goes.......
1958 CA Bedford Dormobile (Porthole)
1960 Vauxhall Cresta PA
1975 Vauxhall Viva E Coupe
vauxhallbitz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:48 pm

As I recall, the resistance wire has clear insulation. But you can't see it - it's wrapped up inside the wiring loom behind the dash.

Fred, I was looking in the OHC manual, and I suspect Dave's original thread was based on OHC as well. I don't know if the OHV wiring is different, I don't know where my OHV book is.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby Fred Dukes » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:29 am

my OHC manual is up the shed :lol:
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby 1972nail » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:26 pm

Fred, I've already researched it and posted a thread on bypassing as well. D5 gives you ignition switch controlled 12v, suitable for running the electronic ignition from. At the minute my car is still on points and a non ballast coil and it runs great on the D5 feed.

The OHV cars have two wires connected to D4 crimped together in one connector. Swapping both wires over to D5 is the correct way to go.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby Fred Dukes » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:48 pm

I am sure you are right David its just the stupid physical wire connection diagram in the Haynes Manual says D5 has wire 17 connected to it under the bulkhead side :roll: - it also connects to Fuse 2 which suggests it must be a 12v feed from the ignition swhich :oops: - just had a look in the Electrical training manual and its the same in there :roll:
measured it in practice and its 12v on D5 when the ignition s/w is in the ignition on position.
Can you afford all this advice Frazer :?: - thats 3 of us for about 1/2 hour each - 1.5 man hrs at £20 ................ :lol:
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby vauxhallbitz » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:23 pm

Well it worked first time, thanks for all your help!
1960 Vauxhall Cresta PA
vauxhallbitz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby 1972nail » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:16 pm

Great news....when's the cheque coming?...... :D
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby Fred Dukes » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:33 am

Well done Frazer - didnt feel any pain! All donations to the "Must Get Out More" Benevolent Fund :P :lol:
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby vauxhallbitz » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:24 pm

Cheques are, as they say, "in the post"......
1960 Vauxhall Cresta PA
vauxhallbitz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby jpsmit » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:22 am

Well this is a timely thread - and I hope I am not hijacking anything!

As you (I think) know, i have my wire harness completely stripped and sitting on the workbench. I have repaired and readied the sub harness that goes to the tail lights as well as to the wiper motor and the wiper switch/clock etc.

I have now shifted me attention to the main harness. Today I was looking at the wires that go to the water temp unit and the coil - green/blue and white. Both are burnt/frayed. Fortunately I have pieces of old harnesses and, was able to get two other pieces of wire in the correct colours. However, i also then found the clear wire that all this refers to. Assuming that the clear wire may have been the cause for these wires to have melted, Should I go ahead an bypass the clear wire in favour of an external ballast coil?

As I read the link, there were many references to positions in the plug (D4) I presume this refers to HC models? As the plugs on the GT bear no resemblance to those pictured. Likewise wires seem to be numbered by circuit and not colour - is this also HC?

Basically I am confused so, any insight will be gratefully received - and, again, my harness is unwrapped so I can cut out the clear wire or splice something or ???

Thanks all
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

PreviousNext

Return to Electrical help